Author Topic: Day 2 CK Treatment  (Read 2314 times)

Richard_T

Day 2 CK Treatment
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:06 am »
On this second day, but first day of CK treatment, it began with meeting with Dr. Chang and being brought into "mission control".  The monitors contained a 3D image of my head and face sans hair and, I think, ears.  It also contained a simulation of "rods" at various entry points around my head to show the various points at which the CK would fire its potent X-Rays.  Dr. Chang explained the process thoroughly, including to show me the concentric rings around my AN, which covered a slight part of my brainstem demonstrating the coverage of X-Rays to hit my AN, but for lesser cell-tolerating radiation to slightly, but necessarily cover, healthy tissues.  He showed me that the cochlea was to be unradiated and how other nerves and areas to be avoided would be.

It was then time for my family and I to see CK2 (Stanford has 2 machines). After giving my new robotic friend a pat on the head, I was led to the table and moved to the exact position over my molded pillow, the staff fitted my face mask (I neglected to mention in my first installment the molding of the pillow under my head and the stretching and drying of the wet mask).  My family got a good gander at Hannibal Lecter on the table, we exchanged some quick jokes though my lips were pressed tight, but not uncomfortably so, and the wife and kids were led out to the waiting room.  The nurse put my iPhone set to the Allman Brothers Live at Filmore East in the dock and played over the speakers (despite the YouTube video showing the patient with earbuds).

The nurse (Jacki - the best) gave me the invaluable advice that moving eyelids and swallowing were AOK, but hacking coughing required me to raise my hand to tell the staff to stop the machine.  I knew that I wasn't going to allow the process to be paused for any reason, so advising me to lift my hand above the chest restraint slightly was important, but superfluous.

The nurses left the room, locked the heavy door and the process was to begin.  The CK came to life moving somewhat slowly around my head and often pivoting in place at slight angles to fire the death rays to the AN.  The process took a total of 30 minutes.  However, the nurses stopped the machine at 20 minutes nforming me that 10 minutes of the process remained and that I was doing fine.  On reflection the next day, it became obvious that I was handled with extreme care on day 1 of treatment; less so ob treatment day 2.  However, I take no issue with that distinction.  It sure beats being treated more callously thru the entire process.

After the process ended, the staff released me from bondage.  I was then greeted by Dr. Gibbs.  She and I discussed how I felt, which was dominated by coming out of being almost comatose during the process at times.  At no time did I ever feel that I was about to freak out about any aspect of the process, including having my face and chest pinned down to the table.  I was led out of the room and placed in a chair resembling a recliner and fed a steroid and anti-nausea meds completely as a prophylactic and was doubted that any swelling or nausea was likely to result.  Needless to say, I had no such complications. 

Overnight, I had a localized headache that could b described as an occasional very slight stabbing pain.  Nothing to get upset over.  As warned, the steroid kept my heart racing a bit and me up most of the night. 

Stayed tuned for the final two chapters...
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: Day 2 CK Treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »
I have to ask, did you feel claustrophobic?  Or was it pretty much like getting an MRI done.  (I'm sure it's way more than getting an MRI done)  Pardon my ignorance.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Richard_T

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:51 pm »
As you know, Karen, everyone is different. 

My view was that it did not feel claustrophobic at all and nothing like that feeling in an MRI. The room is cavernous.  Yes, your head is pinned down under this mask, but the mask is a mesh that allows you to breath comfortably.  You cannot move, but I did not feel the compulsion to try to move.  I just relaxed, listened to my music and occasionally watched CK2 (Levi as he is more affectionately named).  Since you are on a table in an open room, it felt nothing like being in a small tube in an MRI.

In fact, if it helps, I can tell you that I have felt fine in any MRI in which I have been equipped with headgear that has a mirror allowing you to see the room and staff behind it (which I had with Stanford).  It "tricks" the brain into forgetting that you are in a tube and gives you the feeling that you are in a larger space.  In other MRIs without the mirror, after about 20 minutes, it starts to work on me. 

In the CK treatment, I felt like I was just lying on a table in a huge empty room, did not feel the least bit claustrophobic and, in fact, felt fine.

I hope that helps give you some perspective, Karen.  Please do not apologize about any ignorance.  We were all inexperienced (and I still am about a great many issues here, especially surgery) and became experienced one step at a time.
1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:11:00 am »
Thanks, Richard.  Any information I can gather is very helpful.  I had BIG problems with an MRI in 2008 but my MRI in 2011 was a piece of cake; didn't bother me at all.  Just never know how I'm going to react.  Spoke with a doctor yesterday that said she'd order a "thin cut" MRI for me if I were her patient so I need to research that and then call for an appointment.  So much to do with this darn AN but then it's nothing compared to the others on this form.  Thanks again for answering my posts.   :)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back