Author Topic: New here...just diagnosed....very scared  (Read 8844 times)

tatianne

Re: New here...just diagnosed....very scared
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 11:02:52 am »
tks jeof, that sounds like a great way of thinking about it.

i am amazed at all the replies and support i have received from this site.

most of all i think its awesome that all of you who have gotten past this are still coming back to provide support

to newbies like me....definitly what i consider to be chosen acts of compassion and kindness.

Much appreciated.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

tatianne

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 11:05:54 am »
question:  sometimes i feel like my good ear has a little ache once in a while, i know my AN is touching my 7th and 8th nerve, do those nerve connect to the other ear or is it seperate nerves over their ??
I think the reason i have the hearing loss, tinnitus and mild head pain/pressure is because of that.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 11:24:21 am »
Hello!
Thought I'd better chime in with my 2 cents worth also.  Yes, please take your time and don't rush into anything. You are so lucky it was found early and that you have options placed before you.  Some of the people on here had no options because their AN was pressing on their brain stem, or was too big for one of the radiation treatments.  Just be open to all the possibilites available to you.  The technologies that are available now are amazing. My doctors actually recommended GammaKnife for me. My AN was at 2 cm, and I just had had my 60th birthday. I'm sure they thought that was the best way to deal with my "problem" and that was fine with me.  I wasn't that keen on having brain surgery anyway! ;D  I sympathize with your fears and apprehensions. Everyone on this forum had that first intial shock when the diagnosis came in and that"Why Me" feeling, the overwhelming frustration of having a chronic problem that, no matter how you choose to fix it, will leave some sort of tell-tale mark on you for the rest of your life. But, time does add some perspective to the situation and after awhile you will come to terms with the "new normal" that is now your life. It will get better. Really. The thing that is gnawing at me, now...3 1/2 months later is the cost!  I have a $2500 deductible on our insurance and it starts over on Sept 1.  So that means the next MRI I have, I'll have to pay a lot of money out.  I hate it that I have something wrong that can only be checked on by an MRI!!  >:( I do now really appreciate the value of blood tests....that would be soooooo much easier... ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:26:21 am by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tatianne

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 11:35:24 am »
tks for your input sue, it has great value to me.
Im sorry to hear of the financial expense you have to deal with, that really sucks....
Im in Canada and fortunatly all of our health coverage is paid for by the government.
It does me long waiting lists and times but I would be in big trouble if I had to pay anything out of my pocket.
I have three children and im divorced,I work a decent job but money is very tight for me under normal circumstances.

Even though this is new for me Im already realizing a lot of things in my life to be thankful for. I have three beautiful compassionate children, wonderful supportive family and friends, a great support group here, great support group from church, my faith in God and thats just to name a few. Things could be much worse couldnt they ???
I have spent so much of my life living in fear, fear of loosing my health, fear of being alone, fear of truely living because i have this crazy idea that if your too happy something bad has got to happen....all that time and energy wasted. No more I tell you, no more wasting time on fear, fear kills love and doesnt allow real life and joy.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 11:42:09 am »
Good for you.  You are going to do just fine.  Nothing like a major medical problem to shake things up huh?? And to renew yourself, your faith and your spirit.  Hang in there, kiddo.

:)Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Lorraine

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:26 pm »
I was the same way...just get this out of my head....I wish I had known about this site before my surgery and thought more about the "what might happen" after surgery.  As everyone has told you weigh your options carefully and ask many questions of the doctors.  Then you will know you have made an informed decision and you won't second guess yourself after surgery.

Lorraine
Acoustic Neuroma Rt Ear
7mm
Surgery 2/9/06
Dr. Allan Friedman, Duke Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 04:08:39 pm »
Tatianne:

Welcome to our group...even though that means, unfortunately,  you have been diagnosed with an 'Acoustic Nureoma'

They can be tough to deal with - or, sometimes not so tough (I say this from experience).   You are one of the 'lucky' one's...you caught it early - and it's small.  It is quite treatable at this point, likely with non-invasive radiation therapy.  Not fun - but at least no cutting of your skull or hospital stay.  Watching and Waiting is an option too, and tempting, but while AN tumors are usually slow-growing, they can accelerate their growth, too, on occasion.  Your final decision on treatment is ultimately between you and your physician(s) but I would want the tumor outtahere, ASAP.  Especially if that can be accomplished without surgery, which is likely possible, in your case.  Choose your doctor carefully - and 'get educated' on your options.  This site can help...a lot.  My neurosurgeon noted that most of his Acoustic Neuroma patients are 'sophisticated and well-informed'.  He admired that. 

When the terms 'brain' and 'tumor' are part of your diagnosis, you certainly want to learn all you can, especially with the lnternet available to almost everyone, today.  This site - and board - are excellent for your continuing 'AN education'.   I suggest you use them.

Tatianne, I send you my best wishes for the future - and whatever course you decide to take in addressing your Acoustic Neuroma.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:10:48 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.