Author Topic: Morning of your surgery  (Read 10631 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Morning of your surgery
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:51:20 am »
My surgery is coming up in about 2 weeks(gulp) as you can tell my nerves are getting to me. Some days I'm relaxed and ready and then some days I"m not.
I have posted on here what your experience was immediately post op so now I"m wondering exactly how your morning was day of surgery. What were your thoughts leading up to being knocked out (so to speak).

Thank you
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Chances3

Re: Morning of your surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »
Hi Mindy,

Having been on the operating table a number of times in my life, going for brain surgery was not a big deal for me, I just figured it's another part of my body they get to work on. 

I am a man of faith and I place my trust in God.  To me he is in control and I gather my strength from that.  My operation was in the afternoon because neuro surgery prefers to operate on the children in the morning - it put things in a different prospective when I heard that. 

I guess I got a little nervous when I kissed and hugged my wife before I walked to the operating room, but for the most part I took it easy.  I felt very confident and comfortable with the team of surgeons I selected, so I had to do my part and just show up.

We humans have a tendency to let our imaginations run off a little.  I am sure all will go very well and you will be posting here about your recovery in a short time.  The waiting seems worse then the operation.

Keep posting, and God Bless.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:25:25 pm by Chances3 »

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »
My surgery was the first of the day as that time at my hospital is reserved by my surgeon for large tumors. I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am to sign in and was soon called back for prep. Prep was a check of my vitals, changing into a gown, and having an IV placed. The resident stopped by to
ask me some general questions, followed by the nurse anesthetist, and then the prep nurse again. I was so occupied I had no time to imagine anything or get too anxious. A transportation person soon wheeled me over to just outside the operating room doors where nurses kept me engaged in conversation until 6:30 am when I was pushed through the double swinging doors to the operating room itself. It was about 2 minutes later that I was under. The level of activity kept me from thinking too much. My last thoughts were that tomorrow always comes and when it does I'll be past this. Good luck in two weeks. I think you will be surprised at how well you deal with this when it is actually  happening.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:27 pm »
Mindy ~

Thanks for asking!   :)

The morning of my AN surgery (June 7, 2006) began when my alarm clock woke me from a light sleep at 4:30 a.m.  After a shower and shave, my brother-in-law drove me, my wife and his wife (my sister-in-law) the 30 miles to the hospital.  It was still dark and the ride was a bit quiet, although we all tried to make small talk, our collective nerves made it awkward. 

When I arrived at the hospital and checked in, I thought about the fact that I was relatively fine (no health issues) and hoped I would be leaving the hospital the same way.  The admission process is a blur (lots of forms to sign) but I clearly remember my church's leaders (Elders) visiting and praying with me and my wife.  I had given the situation over to God at that point and remained relatively sanguine.  I recall being somewhat anxious because of my unfamiliarity with being hospitalized (first time in decades) and the fact that I knew I was taking a necessary risk - and I like to be in control.  Not this time.  I accepted that and once they came to take me to the OR, although I couldn't help but have some mild anxiety, I was about as calm as possible and ready for whatever happened. 

The operation lasted just about 9 hours and I was blessed to come out of it with no facial weakness, headaches, nausea or other complications. I was extremely fatigued and just wanted to sleep.  By Day 2, I was sitting up in a chair.  Walking the halls (assisted by my intrepid wife, Tina) on Day 3.  Eager to go home by Day 4.  I was discharged on Day 5.  I recovered quickly and today, I'm doing great.  I trust you'll have a similar experience.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:44 pm »
Hey, Mindy!  Since you will also be at St. Vincent's, just want to mention something that was mentioned here by another House patient a few years ago and it helped me the morning of my surgery - perhaps it will bring some comfort to you also...As you are being rolled down to surgery, you will go down a hall with a "wall of windows" - you will know it when you see it - it is quite a sight, especially if the sun is coming up...when you do, please know that many of us here on the forum have rolled down that very same hall before you and we are all doing fine!  I clung to that thought as they rolled me in and it really did help.  You will be fine! 

hugs,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »
I was so happy that "this" was the day! I had full confidence in my doctor and his team. My wife whispered in my soon to be deaf ear "I love you"...last thing I ever heard in that ear! Then I woke up 10 hours later.

I was so ready for the surgery. It was like I was a kid waiting for Christmas day. It was wonderful.

James

HoosierRick

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »
I second what Cindy said...that sunshine coming in those windows at St. Vincent is wonderful.  You feel the warmth coming through and you know of those that came before you.  It's great!!  I was calm and relaxed by the time I got to surgery.  I have complete confidence in the Dr's at HEI.  Good luck!! 
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:37 am »
I lucked out and the trees outside the wall of windows were in full purple bloom ..... spectacular and so calming.  For some odd reason (well, not really ..... it was all those prayers), I was totally relaxed when they wheeled me into surgery ..... joked with the staff ..... and they said "Well, time to take a little nap" and that was it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:24 am »
The morning of my surgery my mother was a basket case, but I was calm, cool, and collected.

I had decided weeks earlier that I wanted my tumor out and the only logical way to do that was through surgery.  I had complete faith and trust in my surgeons and I was ready to get on with it.

I also had a business trip coming up and my neurotologist told me I couldn't fly for 6 weeks post op, so I was anxious to start that countdown.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »
I am more and more at ease thanks to all your support. I may be asking some silly questions now that my surgery date is getting closer, however everything that I have asked and everything that you guys have answered comforts me. I hope my questions and all the answers help others who are also wanting to know.

Thank you
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

TP

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »
I woke up around 4:30 and my husband and daughter took me to the hospital. They had a private room for me where they did some prep work and my brother and his wife came in and we had a nice visit. We had a prayer and they took me downstairs to pre op. Thank God my brother and wife were there because my daughter (she was 16 at the time) would have been left by herself standing in hall but my brother and his wife were there with her. I recall being taken to the pre op with my husband and I looked back at my daughter and gave her a big smile (last one I think I had since I have facial paralysis now) and told her I loved her. My husband was nervous but tried very hard not to show it. It was very nice to have someone with you prior to going into the surgery room.

I was not scared and quite frankly don't remember too much these days about what all they did prior to surgery. However, having had several surgeries I've learned to go into surgery with a very positive attitude and peace. The most difficult thing for me is when they put in the IV in my hand. I've learned that if they give you a shot to numb the hand it goes in without any issues....

My suggestion is since surgery typically is long for folks (mine was 9 hours) it is nice if you can asked your friends to stop by and sit with your family. This helps them stay relaxed and not worry so much.

4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
I just spoke to Rita at House. She is the surgery scheduler. She is getting ready to send my packet out and so I took advantage of asking her some questions since she has been there for 37 years. I told her that I will be staying at the Seton Hall and am looking forward to meeting other AN'ers there. She said if you are staying there then you will have plenty of other AN'ers there to talk to. This comforts me to know. I didn't want to flat out ask her how many are having surgery the week I am or how many people will be there. LOL
She was also telling me how they people from all over the world go there. I felt a bit as ease.

Mindy

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:29:20 am »
Yes, you and whoever is going out there with you will, no doubt, meet numerous ANer's - my mom and husband talked w/ quite a few while I was in surgery and during the days which followed...it was definitely a comfort to them.  And, as has been mentioned on other threads, the floor your hospital room will be on is usually full of AN patients...

Keep positive thoughts,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:52:32 am »
I just spoke to Rita at House. She is the surgery scheduler. She is getting ready to send my packet out and so I took advantage of asking her some questions since she has been there for 37 years. I told her that I will be staying at the Seton Hall and am looking forward to meeting other AN'ers there. She said if you are staying there then you will have plenty of other AN'ers there to talk to. This comforts me to know. I didn't want to flat out ask her how many are having surgery the week I am or how many people will be there. LOL
She was also telling me how they people from all over the world go there. I felt a bit as ease.

Mindy

Hi, we write on FB I was wondering has everything worked out with them and your insurance would like to know just in case sometime in the future I decide on going there as I stated to you on FB I do not like to fly...lol...

Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:36 am »
Yes everything has worked out. They are wonderful to work with. Like you said just talk to them. They have been absolutely fabulous. I know you don't like to fly, however if you do decide to move forward I highly suggest going there.  ;D