Author Topic: 5 month post surgery MRI shows something  (Read 2363 times)

HeidiC

5 month post surgery MRI shows something
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »
I had my follow up MRI at the end of February.  My surgery was Oct 6.  My primary care physician ordered it because I was having trouble with my referral to my surgeon(neurotologist).  A couple of days following the MRI my PCP called and said there was something on the MRI and it appeared that the tumor is regrowing.

I emailed my surgeon who said that was impossible since they had completely removed the tumor, but to send him a copy of the MRI and he would be happy to take a look at it(the office is a couple hours away from me).

Once he received it he emailed and said that there is something at the site of the surgery and that it is larger than my tumor was.  he said he thinks it represents post surgery enhancement but that he wants to show it to my neurosurgeon to get his opinion.  And he said since they can't be sure what it is that I should get another MRI in 6-12 months.  I am a worrier, so of course it will be in 6 months, even though I am clausterphobic and can't stand them LOL.  I am going to post another question about taking some sort of medication before the MRI.

Then he goes on to ask if I need any help with the referral because I need to see him for a proper follow up.

This last comment worries me, because we have been in contact with each other and he knows that I am working on it.  It makes me feel that he thinks there is more to the MRI but wants to tell me in person. ...or he could just be trying to be helpful.  I haven't heard back from him yet about what the neurosurgeon thinks about the MRI.  The referral has gone through and I will be seeing the Neurotologist on March 20.

I was just wanting to vent a little around people who know what I am feeling and going through, and also see if anyone else has had a similar post surgery MRI.

~Heidi

Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

New girl

Re: 5 month post surgery MRI shows something
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:43:39 am »
Hi Heidi,

Sorry you are going through this stress.  I dont have any advice on the MRI results but I was thinking that your doctor most likely wants a "proper" follow up just to do all their neuro checks to ensure that you are not having any other issues that you yourself may not be aware of.  He probably just wants to cover all bases.

I can also be a worrier so I sympathize!  It is hard not to be in these situations.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:33:43 am »
Hi Heidi .....

From one worrier to another ..... try to keep in mind that it is difficult to tell the difference between the enhancement of scar tissue and the enhancement of tumor regrowth.  If it is regrowth, it most likely will be slow growing so try not to panic.

As for your neurotologist wanting to see you, I agree that that would be a standard response for liability reasons.  He wants to be sure he is not missing something for your sake and for his.

I think you have probably read about my situation with regrowth so you know that I can empathize with you over the fears you are feeling.  My very first MRI post first surgery (at 5 months post-op) showed an "area of enhancement."  It was not until 3 years post-op that the area had grown and it was noted that, indeed, it was the regrowing of a "totally removed" tumor and not scar tissue.  Keep in mind regrowth only happens in 5-9% of cases so yours may truly be scar tissue/surgical changes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leeclinton

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »
Heidi,
I work in healthcare administration and my guess is that your doc wants time to consult whomever else he/she needs to consult to be able to give you the answers you will want regarding what it is on the MRI, what your options are, and his/her recommendation.

I know it's easy to talk about it rationally when it's not me that it's happening to.  If it was me, I would be like you and worrying and probably thinking the worst.  Hang in there.

Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012