Author Topic: 4 days post op Retro @ House  (Read 6395 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
4 days post op Retro @ House
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:12:35 pm »
Hey guys. I'm resting at Seton Hall. 4 days post op and so far so good. Taking it easy. I will give details later when I am able to focus my eyes more and etc. I want to say thank you to everybody for all your support. It really means alot to me to know that all the prayers were being said. My husband is wonderful and has been such an angel. I had Retro at House March 7th. I had Dr. Friedman and Schwartz. I cannot forget Dr. Stephan...all wonderful. I did not get all the tumor taken out. Dr. Schwartz and I sat down and talked. His opinion after looking at all the scans I had back in 2007 to present is that he did not think the tumor was growing. He believes that the tumor is on the trigeminal nerve (which it was) and that if he were to take the enitre tumor out since I had radiation is that I would loose my perfect hearing. He did not want me to loose this. He saw my audiology report and saw it was perfect. He said he does not believe the tumor was growing or that it will. It collapsed when he took the tumor off the trigeminal nerve so he is thinking I will no longer need any other treatment. I do still have to get scans just to be safe. Since the tumor was not big he isnt too worried. I valued this opinion and agreed to leave the hearing nerve alone.
So here I sit with a numb face and numb tongue but no longer have Trigeminal pain. YIPPEE. LOl
I am going to go now. I don't even know if I make sense. haha
Oh...I did met Archer, JanetD and Mr. Bill. All wonderful people. There was another lady here who had surgery the same day as me and is released back to her hotel today.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

BeckyMax

Re: 4 days post op Retro @ House
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:00:37 pm »
I've been thinking of you every day, good to see you on here.  I'm glad everything went well and that you are recovering.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Archer

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:45 pm »
Mindy,
Good to see you posting again.  Glad all went well for you.  It was great meeting you at HEI and even better to hear you are doing so well. 

Rich

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »
Mindy, so glad to see you posting again and to hear that it sounds like all went well with very good results.  Keep healing and posting.  Will still be praying for you.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

windy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:39:32 pm »
SO good to hear from you Mindy!! I am really glad things are going well for you there and you have this behind you!! Also, I am glad your sweet husband has been there for you. Take care!!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:37 pm »
Hi Mindy .....

So glad you are back at Seton and resting ..... and no more trigeminal pain!!!  How wonderful is that???  Can't beat the Friedman/Schwartz/Stefan combo ..... they are terrific and treat each and every case on a very individual and personal level.  So glad you went there.

Tell us more when you feel up to it.

Continuing thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Heresrose

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:36 am »
Mindy,

Welcome to LA! So happy you are doing well. I've been away for a while, but you have been in my thoughts as I knew your surgery was scheduled for 3/7. All the best to you as you recuperate.

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:14 am »
Ah, Mindy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Double good news! CK did the trick on the tumor (wasn't growing) and the surgery to help alleviate trigem pain and keep your hearing! Love this news!  Take it easy, get some rest and know I'm sending MAJOR healing hugglez to you and Andy!

Feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:58:15 am »
Awesome, Mindy!  Take it easy and get ready to continue life without so much AN worry and pain :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mk

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:52 am »
Great news Mindy, I am so glad you had such a wonderful outcome.
Don't worry about the eyes, I also had trouble  focusing my eyes, but this resolved within a few days. My trigeminal numbness also resolved eventually post-surgery. It fluctuated initially for the first couple of months, but then it was gone completely. The trigeminal nerve is quite resilient.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

lrobie

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:14 am »
Mindy,

I'm so glad to hear that you made it to the other side.  I hope to be there someday!  Keep us posted on your recovery when you're feeling up to it.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »
Hi, Mindy ~

Congratulations!  What a splendid update on your AN surgery.  I'm so pleased to learn that not only is your trigeminal pain now gone but that your hearing was preserved.  Your experience is another demonstration as to why HEI retains such a good reputation.  I'm glad you were able to take advantage of their fine surgical team.  Now, rest and recover knowing that, along with your helpful husband, you also have a bunch of friends here supporting you as you get your life back to normal.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

New girl

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:45:22 pm »
Mindy - Wonderful news!  Glad all is well.  I look forward to hearing more about your recovery.  Best wishes.  ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:13 am »
Should have seen me walk to the cafeteria this morning.  Lol it was comical. My throat has been sore. Im assuming from being intubated. Not to sure why its sore almost 1 week later.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:41:17 am »
Mindy .....

You are just joining the "Dizzy Dames" club!   ;D  Not unusual for your throat to be sore and it is most likely from the intubation.  Mine was sore for a long time afterwards too.

So glad you are walking back and forth to the Cafeteria.  When it was nice weather my husband and I walked outside, but after dark or raining, we were sure glad for the tunnel.  Stitches out tomorrow??

Many thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011