Author Topic: help can anyone answer my question?  (Read 4259 times)

Coco channel

help can anyone answer my question?
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:28:32 am »
Dear all,
for the last 3 weeks i have had a a full feeling behind my ear, dizzyness, sounds are muffled when lots of different noise ie in a busy place, dull humming sound in ear and some strange facial drop. First my gp treated me with steriods, anti-virals and antibiotics as she thought it was bells palsy, I can move my face when i concentrate but when i relax the edge of my mouth now looks dropped? Then i was treated for a stroke???? :( then i had ct and mri which showed nothing ??? then i had high resolution mri which showed nothing ??? i have now been referred to neurologist and awaiting appointment!

My question having done some research is could a high resolution mri miss a AN?
I would be gratefull if anyone could anwser.

Coco channel

Re: help can anyone answer my question?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:42:26 am »
Also did anyone have an AN that was missed on MRI?

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:26 am »
Yes, in 2008 I had an MRI which was taken to "see" if I had a stroke (which I didn't).  After my MRI in 2011 the neurotologist looked at the 2008 MRI and said, "oh, look there's a little dot right there; that's the AN."  Since then I've learned that MRIs are done in slices and if the AN happens to be in the slice that's not "taken" then it's missed.  I was told that the MRI in 2008 probably either "clipped" the beginning portion of the AN or the tail end of it. 

As they say, I'm not in the medical profession I'm just giving you my life experience as far as the MRI and the "missing" AN.

Good luck.  Sounds like you've been through a lot. 

Oh, my neurosurgeon has ordered a "thin cut" MRI; apparently this has a better chance of picking up the AN.  Also, if you read other posts regarding MRIs, there's differences between machines, techs, etc.  MRIs have a variance of, I believe,  + or - 2mm.  Hopefully, some of the other members who know more about this will give you better details and more suggestions.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Coco channel

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:31 am »
Thank you so much for responding Karen. I am sorry that you have a simular story.  I am beginning to think i am imagining all of my symptoms! The mri's were done for ?stroke which after the awful treatment did not show up a stroke. My balance is shocking! i cant wait to see the neurologist. Take care

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:03:21 am »
I'm not a dr, but your symptoms sure seem like those of an AN. When I get my MRIs, I get pictures take without contrast first, then with contrast. Did you have yours done with contrast?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
I found out first hand different machines and techs make a big difference...First MRI I am sure I had the AN no one seen it and that few years later guess what I had a 1 cm. AN, so 2 years before that it must have been at a size to have been found and was not..Then after surgeryy the MRI I had where I live versus a better one in the city there was definitely a 3 mm difference that has been left behind. So if at all possible definitely everyone should have any test taken at a more modern up to date facility I know I will from now on.
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Coco channel

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:16:51 pm »
syl, both mri's were done without contrast, the medic who ref to neurologist did said 'you may need another mri' but lets ref you?? i am anxious that something may have been missed now. Thank you pjb, also i think when i see neorologist i will make sure her/she has studied scan and discuss contrast.

At least if it turns out to be AN i know where to come, thanks everyone xx

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:15:11 pm »
I had the wonkies, partial loss of hearing, and my internist, ent, and neurologist all missed the diagnosis. Really, they did not have a diagnosis...just some guesses.  In April 2008 I had a stroke, and the MRI easily picked up the damage to my brain. Two days later I was readmitted to the hospital and had another MRI. No contrast on either one. Seven months later I saw a new internist because my head would not quit spinning. She had an MRI with contrast done, and the MRI showed the AN.

My new ENT looked at all three MRIs, and the AN was not visible on the two MRIs without contrast. We know it was there, but the contrast was needed to see it. Yes, I am afraid a MRI without contrast is not much value when looking for an AN.

James

Ned

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:29 pm »
An MRI with contrast makes an AN standout like a light bulb.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:11:06 pm »
Some ANs go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years.

Best bet is to make sure your MRI is done with gadolinium contrast.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Coco channel

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:55 am »
thank you all so much for the advice and support, so I feel when I see neurologist I need to have discussion about MRI. I wonder why they did not use contrast on the second MRI, may be because they were stroke focused?

the time delay in my response is that I write from the uk. There is not a lot of info over here on AN, thank you all again for your responses. xxx

nftwoed

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
Hi;

I was misdiagnosed for 6 years. The interpreting Radiologist named the ANs correctly. The ENT and later, Neurotologist later overturned the Radiologist's report.
  This all leads me to wonder who is better able to interpret an MRI for AN, a Radiologist, or Neurotologist?
  This case, the Radiologist called it correctly.
  Also, the Neurotologist did not consider the audiogram correctly for AN. I had a high frequency loss which is typical of those with AN. Those who suffer Meniere's Disease generally have low frequency losses. Another error on the part of the Neurotologist.
  I don't think Dr. was expecting a pt. with true vertigo. Dizziness is more common with AN than vertigo.