Author Topic: 6 months post-op MRI  (Read 3065 times)

rvb755

6 months post-op MRI
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:59:10 pm »
I had my 6-month post op MRI a couple weeks ago, and had my appointment with my local doctor this morning.  I can happily report that the MRI looks clean with no sign of tumor.  I had another hearing test this morning as well (I really don't enjoy those tests), and the hearing in my one good ear has thankfully not changed.

While meeting with my doctor, I mentioned that I still deal with low energy levels and feel tired a lot and he told me that is common and probably due in part to the balance nerve on one side having to compensate and do all the work for the side that no longer works.  I asked him if this will continue to improve or if this is a new normal and he told me that it may improve, but generally the way it is one year after surgery is about as good as it gets.  Is there anyone else who battles fatigue after surgery that feels like their energy level returned to pre-surgery levels?

One other thing I have been dealing with is dry eye.  I like to ride my bike and there are times where the wind in my eye will cause the eye to dry out and cloud over.  I am wondering if anyone has found some type of sports goggles that will block wind from the eyes?

I am truly grateful for the outcome from my surgery, and for the good news of a clean MRI and wanted to share the good news.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: 6 months post-op MRI
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:27:18 am »
Very cool Rick, congrats on the clean MRI...so yeah, it has taken me forever to really get back up to par energy wise.  Even now on some days I have bouts of fatigue...is it from having brain surgery? Who knows...maybe cuz I am just getting a little older! :)  But yeah, I was definitely feeling it six months post op, then like everything I noticed one day I wasn't so bad anymore.  Take care and let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:46:35 am »
G'day Rick.
Great news about your MRI!
If you go to an optometrist where they sell glasses you should be able to pick up a pair that not only wrap around but also have the 'flaps' on the sides like safety glasses.  I suffer dry eye too and wear glasses but can't get sunglasses or normal glasses that wrap around.
Do you use a lot of fake tears, Lacri Lube, or Ircal? I keep all three with me so I can put something in my eye when in air conditioning.

This is a UK site but will give you and idea of what's on offer.
http://www.sports-sunglasses-eyewear.co.uk/dry_eye_syndrome.html

I am nearly 2 years post op (August 18) and still wonky but I'm actually getting used to it as being normal.

Good luck and please let us know what you find?

Warm wishes,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

rvb755

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:21:37 am »
Suu, I have been thinking about going to see my eye doctor and asking about contact lenses instead of glasses.  I have never had contacts and I am not sure how my eye would react, but my thinking is it may be easier to find some type of goggles to cover my eyes if they didn't have to be prescription lenses.  I'll let you know if I learn anything there.

I appreciate the encouraging comments and I hope the fatigue continues to lessen.

Rick
on 8/24/2011

DHJ

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:06 am »
Hi Rick     I also suffer from dry eye and the wind does bother me. Yesterday I biked about 20 miles on cape cod and used wrap sunglasses. My eye was not perfect but they helped. This winter while walking during my recovery I used my Ski goggles to block the cold wind and they worked great. So i think my solution for biking with dry eye is to order wrap glasses that seal like ski goggles. I have found these glasses on line but have not ordered them yet.
              It is 5 months since my surgery and I still get tired easily but find exercise helps.Bike On.
                                                Peace Dave J
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:39 am »
Hi Rick,

Great news for the MRI.  I have the opposite symptoms, the eye on my surgical side tears
whenever I eat food, along with my left nostril.  It's crazy what these nerves can do.  Many many
years ago I purchased a pair of prescription goggles to play racket ball in, you might want to see your local optometry store.

Good Luck and keep on riding.

rvb755

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:06:29 pm »
Thanks for the helpful tips.  I think I am going to make an appointment and see what suggestions my optometrist has.
on 8/24/2011

tx-anp

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:46 am »
That's great news on your MRI!  I had translab surgery 4 weeks ago and my doctor said he didn't want to see my back for 1 year.  Is it normal to wait 1 year before having the 1st MRI done?
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

alabamajane

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:43:07 am »
Morning "tx-anp",
I don't know if it is "normal" to wait a year,,, I guess each Dr has his own timeframe for visits,, however, I don't think I could wait a year to see Dr after this surgery..

I had mine in Oct 2011, and I saw neurosurgeon at 1 month, then at 4 months and he wants to see me in 6 more months and do MRI then.. that would be at about the 10 mo interval... I had translab and did have some facial nerve issues so I guess that may be one reason he wanted to see me sooner,, good luck ,, I suppose if you had any problems before the year,, you could always go back to him.. just seems like long time for follow up visit... Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

rvb755

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »
As far as the follow up MRI, when I left House they recommended an MRI at 1 year.  However, the doctor who is doing the follow up for me locally wanted to one at 6 months, so I followed the local doctors recommendation.  I won't have another MRI until 2 years after surgery.
on 8/24/2011