Author Topic: Help at home question  (Read 2215 times)

rays

Help at home question
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
Hello all,

My middle fossa surgery is weeks if not months away, but I had a question about recovery.

Are most people alright to be home alone right after surgery? My wife is planning on being with me during my hospital stay, but can't take off anymore time from work to stay home with me. Should I try to get family from the east coast to come out?

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thank you all.

2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Help at home question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:27:41 am »
Ray .....

A lot depends upon how well you do post-anesthesia of any kind.  This is major surgery and you will be anesthetized for several hours.  If you normally do OK with that, then the next consideration is how quickly you regain your equilibrium/balance and/or headache issues.  If you have already experienced considerable balance issues, your brain has very likely already started to compensate for the loss of vestibular function on the AN side.  If not, then you will have an abrupt adjustment to make ..... and that varies greatly from individual to individual.

Following my first AN surgery (retrosigmoid approach), I woke up with double vision and considerable balance issues, but no headaches.  I was in the hospital 6 days, another three days in the immediate area, and my husband drove us home on Day 10.  He had to go back to work on Day 11, but my daughter-in-law and granddaughter were here when we arrived home and stayed with us another week.  I honestly think I would have been all right taking care of myself by the time we arrived home, but it sure was nice to have someone here to fix meals and be reassuring to my husband.

Following my second AN surgery (translab approach), I had no double vision, only minor balance issues, and no headaches.  I was walking around downtown Los Angeles on Day 10.

All of this is, of course, assuming you have no complications during or after surgery.  My advice would be to have plans A, B, and C available depending upon how you do.  Both you and your wife could relax about it that way.  Perhaps a friend could be available if needed, etc.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011