Author Topic: Day 9 - post Translab  (Read 3673 times)

Lotty mac

Day 9 - post Translab
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:19 am »
Just wanted to check in and let you know that my Translab surgery last Thursday the 22nd has gone well  :)
I went in at approximately 10am and was back on the ward by 6.30 pm with no post surgery intensive care required but I did spend four hours in recovery where I remember being very sweaty and diss orientated. I was told the next day by my surgeon that my surgery was "text book" and all went very well... No facial nerve damage :)
The first few days where a blurr of sleeping and waking for short periods of time, I felt no dizziness when I opened my eyes only when I moved my head. I had headaches in the front of my head and pain in my teeth, mostly caused but the tight bandage and I think I was gritting my teeth causing the tooth pain. I refused morphine and only had mild pain relief as I saw "spiders" om anything stronger and didnt like that feeling !
On day three I stood to sit in a chair and had a full on panic attack I have never felt anything like it, more visually felt as if I could see my right side collapsing... Needless to say I was soon back in bed... The next day I got the tough love nurse who got me out of bed for a shower - challenging but felt so much better for it.
My scar is so thin and delicate, the stitches have dissolved and it's already barely noticeable... I'll have to make an effort to point it out when I want to play " you call that a scar"!
As most of you are aware the next days are slow and steady standing and pacing the halls of the hospital ( ever so slowly) trying to restore the balance. Yes, it's unsettling but I think for me it is more like the feeling of being drunk ( without the fun of getting there) :p I get tired very easily which is frustrating cause my mind is wanting to go, go go:)
Anyway released yesterday and wobbled through a 5 hour drive home now safely tucked up in my own bed!
I think, for me, the removal is easy ( who would guess we get to sleep through it :p) it's the recovery that is tricky and obviously different for all - so far, I have just the wobbles, tiredness and a bit of niggly pain from each scar site ( touch wood) I am feeling confident for a full recovery.
The hearing loss, it's just hitting me now as I am out of the isolation of hospital, not knowing where sound is coming from is a shocker... And the ringing worse than pre op but I'm told these will all settle.
I thank everyone on here fro their advice and comfort and I thank god I am out the other side and able to share this with you only 9 days after majore brain surgery - cheers :)

P.s. sorry if it's a ramble just couldn't wait to check in :)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Day 9 - post Translab
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:54:22 am »
Hiya Lotty!! Glad to see you made it safe and sound to good ol' postie land! Sounds like you did indeed have a textbook recovery.  Just remember, keep taking it easy, sometimes people think they are good and they overdo it and they relapse...just listen to your body and you'll be fine!!  Keep us updated as time goes on, looking forward to it! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:26:36 am »
Fabulous!  Great sharing.  I am 9 weeks post and it just gets better and better.  I started pt two weeks ago mainly for the feeling in my head.  Like you, I was only wobbly.  Like you Translab with great outcome.  The PT has inspired me to exercise and my mind is happier.  I am so glad to read more happy stories.  Just don't push it too much a chance the CSf leak.  I never got one...I am back to regular activities including our new recreational activity of riding ATV's.  Life is short.
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:34:01 am »
Hi, Lottie ~

Thanks for the update!  Your experience appears to be well within the 'typical' rage for a successful AN surgery, including the weakness and tinnitus, which will likely abate in time.  Walking is always beneficial for regaining balance and of course, rest is crucial to a smooth recovery.  Your biggest challenge will be to pace yourself as you feel stronger.  The urge to 'get back to normal' can be very strong...and I speak from experience. 

Overall, you seem to be doing splendidly at just 9 days post-op.  Please try to keep us updated, as time permits.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:57:25 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great to see you posting already.  We have great doctors over here and we're surely lucky that this site exists for us to come and share our experiences.

Ramble all you like.  :D

Don't be too surprised if the ringing in the ear doesn't stop but if it does then that gives us hope LOL

Can't wait to catch up again soon.

Hugs,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:52:34 am »
Thanks so much for keeping us all informed about your experience! I'm always looking to read post-surgery experiences for people who have had translab since I'm having mine in May. It really does sound like your surgery was "textbook" and I wish you all the best as you start down the road towards recovery! And please, ramble away! I'm sure it's a great way for you to sort things out post-surgery and the more information you can share certainly the better for those of us still waiting.  :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Lotty mac

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:29:46 am »
Three and a bit weeks now and my birthday today ... Went for lunch managed a wine or two, stayed out for 5 hours and had a fabbo day - life is good :)

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »
Happy Birthday Lotty!  ;D ;D ;D
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11