Author Topic: Surgery after Radiation  (Read 2910 times)

ash

Surgery after Radiation
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »
I had been told by a surgeon that if the tumor continues to grow after radiation treatment that surgery would then be necessary. The problem is then removing a tumor that is melted to the nerves. Has anyone experienced surgery after having radiation? Thanks to everyone for their help.
Born deaf in left ear, Diagnosed AN in right ear 2/1/ 2010 4 x 3 x 2mm; 8/1/2010 4 x 3 x 4mm; 9/1/2011 6 x 4 x 4 mm; 3/1/2012 8 x 4 x 4mm; Recommendations: U of Penn-GK; Stanford-CK; NY-CK; Cooper-Novalis; Pittsburgh-GK; HEI- still waiting ; Treatment: Stanford-CK 5/10/2012 (Dr. Chang, Dr. Soltys)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Surgery after Radiation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:56 pm »
A few come to mind Kathleen5306, Mk, Mellorama I believe. I had surgery after radiation. I know there are a few others that I missed. They are all doing good last I heard. You will have to search their results.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

rupert

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:52 pm »

Radiation treatment does not "melt" the tumor to the nerves or anything else. I hope your doctor didn't tell you that.   Some tumor's are more likely to stick to the nerves than others, but this can be with tumors that are radiated or not.  An experienced surgeon would be able to remove the tumor whether it was radiated or not.  Keep in mind that success rates on tumors treated with radio surgery are very high, and it is unlikely you would face this problem. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:34:52 am »
A few come to mind Kathleen5306, Mk, Mellorama I believe. I had surgery after radiation. I know there are a few others that I missed. They are all doing good last I heard. You will have to search their results.
Mindy
Mindy, dang you're good!  :-*  StoneAxe/Bob also comes to mind (had Proton Radiation, then surgery, both done at Mass Gen Hosp). Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:51 am »
Thanks Phyl....as you know since I am one of the "odd balls" who's had both I did some research. I know there are more I just cannot think of who at the moment. Ok I have a few more. Crystal, SarahinPa, Goldie, Zjane and Imurray69.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:46:17 am by mindyandy »
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »
Mindy really summed it up well.
I also had surgery after failed radiation. I consulted with 6 neurosurgeons. The first gave me the "nerve fused on the tumor" cr**p and told me I was facing 100% chance of facial paralysis.
All the other neurosurgeons said that radiation does not necessarily make surgery more difficult based on their experience. One said that the chances of CSF leak are greater.
After my surgery I asked my neurosurgeon if removal was more difficult than normal. He said that some areas were easier than average to resect, and some more difficult and he didn't think that radiation had anything to do with this. Reading on the forum you will see that some people had "sticky' tumors and some not, irrespective of radiation.
Most of the post-radiation patients I have seen here have had excellent results (including myself). I must say though that most, if not all patients really made sure to choose the best and more experienced teams. So I would say that at the hands of an experienced team you are as likely to have a good result as everyone else.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Grateful_1

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »
I have had CyberKnife radiation treatment before surgery.  Although the radiation treatment failed for me, if I had to do it all over again, I would.  I, too, was concerned about the condition of the tumor after it had been radiated, but my doctor was not, which was reassuring to me.  I did end up with a CSF leak but I never thought to associate that with radiation/surgery. (Hmmm, something else for me to research now!)  I had other complications not associated with the surgery but I feel great now...not perfect, but great!
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue