Author Topic: High Blood Pressure after Radiosurgery?  (Read 2299 times)

lalala80

High Blood Pressure after Radiosurgery?
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:48 am »
After my radiation treatment my blood pressure seems to be rather high.  It is not quite at the high blood pressure level yet, but it has consistently been around 132/82 which is really quite high for me and higher than the 120/70 it was before the treatment.  Maybe it is the stress, but I have been exercising and eating potassium rich foods and it still seems to stay rather high.  I also take it in the morning when it is supposed to be the lowest.  Is this a possible temporary side effect of the radiation?  Or maybe it is the stress but I was pretty stressed before the treatment and surprisingly my  blood pressure right before I had the radiosurgery was only 125/70, still pretty consistent.  Has anyone else had experience with this?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: High Blood Pressure after Radiosurgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »
I haven't had this experience and haven't read that post-radiation AN patients routinely have elevated blood pressure after treatment.  However, because of your (quite natural) concern, I suggest you ask your doctor about this.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »
I vaguely remember reading a post not too long ago that someone was experiencing high blood pressure after their treatment; can't remember if it was surgery or radiation. 

You might trying doing a search for high blood pressure on this forum.

Good luck.  Hopefully it's just the stress of life right now.   :)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

mk

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:45 pm »
I remember that a forum member, "sunfish" developed severe blood pressure issues immediately following CK. I don't remember if she was able to establish a link between the two. You may want to look up her posts.
She did post an update recently:
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=16733.msg979739151#msg979739151

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »
Here I am . . .

Well, my blood pressure situation was a little more drastic.  First of all, if you have/are still taking steroids within the past several weeks, then that's probably why your blood pressure is high.

My bp had routinely been 115/75 before CK.  I had one bout of higher bp about 12 years previous, but had a lot of stress then.  Week of CK, blood pressure went up to 160/106.  But I had been taking decadron, and nurses said not to worry, it was just a temporary side effect of the procedure and meds, and it would go down.

Well, I was put on bp meds the week after CK, and have never been off them since.  If I miss a dose, it starts creeping back up right away.  I've been through about a half dozen increasing med changes to get it under control.  Yes, I'm a little heavier than I was (only 10 pounds overweight), but I'm still physically active.  My goal this year is to get in much better physical shape, and see if that helps.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  That being said, I've done LOTS of online research, and this is what I've learned: Your blood pressure is controlled, in part, by something called baroreceptors in your carotid artery (neck).  They can definitely be affected by standard radiation treatments.  Supposedly, there shouldn't be enough radiation exposure to these receptors in stereotactic radiosurgery  for an AN. Also, my AN was in the cerebellopontine angle, real cozy with the brainstem.  This is also an area with lots of nerves involved in blood pressure.  My strong assumption, at this point, is that the baroreceptors (most likely) or these other nerves were affected somehow by CK.

The only person who believes me is my primary care physician.  I've resisted the impulse to follow up on this through the couple specialty clinics there are in the U.S. - I'm not sure that finding the reason for my high bp will help much in treating it, and I'm tired of doctors.

I'll bet your blood pressure will gradually stabilize again.  Keep us posted!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC