Author Topic: Adjustable bed  (Read 5070 times)

Sefra22

Adjustable bed
« on: August 04, 2006, 08:52:20 pm »
I am considering buying an adjustable bed for me to use while I recover at home. Do any of you who have had surgery think that it would be worth the investment ? ($800 twin) My reasoning is that I can't sleep on my back, but maybe in that type of bed I could. Also I think it would be easier to get in and out of. 
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Boppie

Re: Adjustable bed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 09:23:32 pm »
I stayed in a lounger chair for several nights and then learned I could lay flat in the bed on my back quite gladly and comfortably.

Just my opinion:  For a lot less money you could get a generic pillow lounger chair and get rid of it later.  Adjustible beds require replacement mattresses that are built to bend and cost $$. 

Post op you will sleep on your back and tilted up just a little for as many nights as you can stand it and then you will sleep on your good side. 

It might be some time before you could sleep on your stomach anyway since the neck muscles will be sore.  Sleeping on your back will seem quite natural if you get enough pillows to surround the elbows, arms, and shoulders.

You will sleep so much you won't need to decide which position is best.....and like a rock! :D

You will roll out of bed and stand up slowly.  Or, you will sit up on the edge of the bed and stand up from there.  It is not hard to get up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:29:23 pm by Boppie »

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:32:13 pm »
I borrowed my dad's foam wedge pillow, he had to have it after open heart surgery.  It's about 2 1/2 feet long and brings you up, with your own pillows on top to around 30 degrees, where my doctor's wanted me and my crummy CSF leak.  I'm a side sleeper and it's amazingly tons more comfortable than the adjustible hospital bed.  I can sleep on my back quite nicely, and I never sleep on my back.  Send me a note if you want me to find out where my parents got it.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

luv2teachsped

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:41:18 pm »
Hi Sefra:  check with your insurance.  I know that some will cover a rental hospital bed during your recovery! luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:40:21 pm »
I agree...you can rent them and if you get your dr to prescribe it your insurance might cover it.  They covered my walker, beside commode and wheel chair when I had my ankle surgery as the doctor wrote a script.  I'm now officially ready for old age :o)

Obita

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 05:54:35 am »
I don't remember sleeping  being that much of a problem (translab 5/2004).  I did move my tv to the other side of the room so I could see it when lying on my good side.  I couldn't sleep in the hospital but I sure could at home.  I really think your own bed will be the most comfortable for you.

Batty:  I am ready for old age too.  I installed grab bars as I knew I would get my total hips shortly after the AN surgery.  I am really set.........shower chair, crutches, walker, elevated toilet seat (oh, that was fun when visitors went in to use my bathroom) reacher,  (that came in handy for AN surgery as you can't bend over) sock puller on'er and many more.

BY THE WAY EVERYONE:  I LOVE THE GRAB BARS.  I HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE WHEN I AM SOAPING AND SHAMPOOING UP WITH MY EYES CLOSED.  THIS LITTLE PROBLEM WITH BALANCE WITH EYES CLOSED IS HERE FOREVER SO WHY NOT HAVE SOMETHING TO HANG ON TO IN THE SHOWER?   :o  I never thought to mention it before.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 07:15:32 am »
OH Kathy we sound like a pair...I forgot about some of those things they're in the attic  LOL  No grab bars but I've thought about it several times!  If I could have done it myself I'd probably have them by  now  LOL

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 12:20:25 pm »
I was able to sleep on my side as soon as I got out of the hospital--turning the neck was a little hard for stomach sleeping.  Invest in a really good solid foam orthopedic pillow or two--after 5 days of sleeping in a hospital bed, I was ready never to see one ever again! I think, in my personal opinion, it would be a waste of money.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sefra22

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:18:49 pm »
I wish I could sleep on my back-I know it helps keep wrinkles at bay ;). But unfortunately, I can sleep ONLY on my stomach. I have been trying to "train" myself to sleep on my back or side by using pillows and wedges, but I just end up throwing them on the floor.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 03:50:31 pm »
I think you automatically seek out the most comfortable position without even thinking about it. I used to sleep on my stomach like you. Now since surgery I can't turn my neck far enough to feel comfortable on my stomach. I use about 3-4 pillows to minimize pressure and headaches and sleep on my back. I never thought I would end up sleeping on my back and side but now it is more comfortable and I sleep just fine.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 06:10:13 am »
BY THE WAY EVERYONE:  I LOVE THE GRAB BARS.  I HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE WHEN I AM SOAPING AND SHAMPOOING UP WITH MY EYES CLOSED.  THIS LITTLE PROBLEM WITH BALANCE WITH EYES CLOSED IS HERE FOREVER SO WHY NOT HAVE SOMETHING TO HANG ON TO IN THE SHOWER?   :o  I never thought to mention it before.
I have grab bars in the shower, by the toilet. I also have a shower seat, toilet frame, bed bars, food trolly. At frist i felt weird having all this stuff as i'm only 24 but now i don't know what i'd do if i didn't have them.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »
I personally had no difficulty settling to sleep on my sides (operative or not) so I wouldn't go to the expense of a special bed....got a recliner? I remember sleeping in the a lot when I had whooping cough and couldn't lie down (wouldn't stop coughing) and I slept in that rather comfortably for a few weeks.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 02:15:49 pm »
 Never been able to sleep on my back. I do managed to sleep on my back in hospital when the head of the bed is raised but at home i have to sleep on my good side although in the night i've turned on to my Translab side and it's woke me up because it's so sensertive and hurts when i lay on it. So most of the night i'm turning over to my good side. I've tried alsorts of things but can't fine things to help. If my fiance wakes in the night and sees me laying on my tranlab side he nudges me and i turn over.But sleeping on the same side hurts my hip and makes my leg go numb.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Static

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 06:44:10 pm »
I used to always sleep on my stomach, then after a few surgeries that REQUIRED I sleep on my back (when you're tired enough or you had enough drugs.....) I switched to being a side sleeper but always, ALWAYS, slept on my right side.  After AN surgery, I couldn't, so when I was in the hospital I found a way, by leaning on another pillow to lay on my back but to the left side.  Now I always sleep on my good side which is my left side (blocks out all the nasty snoring anyway) and can't sleep on the AN side even though it has healed to the point where it isn't uncomfortable any more. What I'm saying is that I think if you give it enough time, you can adjust, and while you're adjusting, take something to help get you to sleep if necessary.  I did spend alot of time in a recliner after my surgery.  I'd say if you want to invest in something, invest in one of those.  You can move around pretty good to find a comfortable spot in them and you can also get up much easier than from a bed, IMO.  I say, whatever you can afford and whatever works for ya!  Good luck.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right