Author Topic: House - Who do you follow up with?  (Read 3984 times)

lrobie

House - Who do you follow up with?
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:45:02 am »
Hi All,

Another question that my husband keeps worrying about.  He wants to know who will do my follow-up care if I have surgery in California and live in Pennsylvania.  The two doctors (neurosurgeon & neurotologist) that have been following me related to my AN are about two hours away.  I saw a local neurosurgeon recently who is good at what he does, but doesn't do ANs  because there isn't a local neurotologist to assist.  I would feel bad asking the original two doctors to follow my post-op care because I didn't use them for treatment.  When I talked to Dr. Friedman's assistant, Sunny, she told me that the House doctors have a list of doctors in the US that they work with.  Here are my questions...

What type of doctor did your post-op follow-up care?

Was he/she someone you used previously?

Do you know if there a lot of doctors to choose from using House's list?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

JerseyGirl2

Re: House - Who do you follow up with?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »
I had the same question four years ago! I live in New Jersey and went to House for my surgery. I asked my local otolaryngologist (who, by the way, had told me at the time of my diaganosis: "Go. to. House.") if he would handle any post surgical follow-up, and he said that hopefully I wouldn't need any, but if I did he would be happy to do so, and, as he (and my HEI doctors) said, they could easily exchange information over the phone or via email.

I also asked him (my local otolaryngologist) if I should arrange an appointment with him shortly after my return from CA and he said, no, just to come for a visit a couple of months after my surgery. I thought he was being pretty cavalier about the whole situation, but .... as it turned out I was fine, didn't need any follow-up, and dropped by to see him a couple of months later at which time he told me, "House did a great job, you are fine." And that was that.

Obviously that's not always the way things turn out, but I think you can rest assured that any local  follow-up can be handled easily and hopefully in conjunction with your House surgeons.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »
I agree with everything Catherine said and I had the same questions one year ago right now (I live in WV.)

Because the BAHA is relatively unknown, I am going to the University of Kentucky in Lexington where I have an excellent audiologist to program my Ponto Pro.  They required a consult by one of their otolaryngologists to determine that my abutment was indeed properly healed.  It was.  I am going back there next month for my one year check-up, but I have had no problems related to the surgery in California.

I certainly do not think that is a worrisome potential problem.  Yes, problems can happen, but very few people have surgeons experienced in treatments of ANs in their home towns, so if urgent problems occur after returning home, most patients would have to seek immediate assistance from a non-treating doctor anyway.  This is why HEI insists their patients stay in the area for at least a week after discharge, when most problems occur if they are going to happen.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:23:19 am »
After I left House, I followed up with my local ENT, who's an otologist (who just happened have fellowed at House!). I only saw him once after I came home, when he cleared me to go back to work 2 months after my procedure.  I have since seen him in dealing with my BAHA, but I am sure he could have handled any post AN issues that might have popped up...if you have any questions, be sure to ask the House Docs!! Good luck!! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:36:06 am »
Never had a need for a follow up visit once I left LA - had I needed any, I would have gone to one of the local otolaryngologists I had met preop...your follow up MRI is done locally with the results sent to House for review...no big deal at all :)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

luttman

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
Dr. Chen at Pittsburgh Ear at Allegheny General Hospital probably has the most experience of any doctor in Pittsburgh area with AN surgery. He did a fellowship at House. I believe another doctor had come over from House to Pittsburgh Ear when I was trying to decide between surgery and radiation, but not sure if he is still there. I chose to have gk radiation at UPMC. If I had chosen surgery I would have gone to Dr. Chen.