Author Topic: Two Decisions Made, Two More to Go  (Read 2788 times)

LizAN

Two Decisions Made, Two More to Go
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »
I just got off the phone with Dr. Slattery of HEI.

Because the tumor has grown by 50% in the last 14 months, and I've started having some minor facial nerve issues, he thinks I need to go ahead and have it removed.  He recommended translab, since my hearing has dropped out in the affected ear, and that is a safer approach.  None of this surprised me.  It was exactly what I expected him to say, having done my research.

I will be having surgery, and it will be translab.  Now, I need to choose a date and a surgical team.  As for the date, it will be some time between late June and early August, as my partner is a high school teacher and has time off this summer.

The hard part is going to be telling the people I work for, since I just started this job in April.  The tumor had been stable, and actually shrank by a mm in the first 6 months. Even though my symptoms had increased, I really didn't expect that it had grown this much and that I would need surgery this soon.  I figured I had another year or two.  I got laid off in January, but was fortunate to get another one in a couple of months.  I hope I still have a job when I recover from the procedure.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

BeckyMax

Re: Two Decisions Made, Two More to Go
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »
So sorry that you are facing this much sooner than you anticipated.  I too started this job recently and wondered if the would keep me once they found out.  I debated not telling, but with leaving the office for doctors appointments so many times in a short timeframe I was afraid they would think I was looking for another job.  I finally told my boss, but downplayed it big time.  If the time comes for treatment then I will have already given them some indication of an issue.  It really ads even more stress knowing that you are dealing with work issues as well.  Hopefully, they will be understanding and accommodating for you.  I'm sure everything will work out the way it is supposed to be.
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

LizAN

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »
So sorry that you are facing this much sooner than you anticipated.  I too started this job recently and wondered if the would keep me once they found out.  I debated not telling, but with leaving the office for doctors appointments so many times in a short timeframe I was afraid they would think I was looking for another job.  I finally told my boss, but downplayed it big time.  If the time comes for treatment then I will have already given them some indication of an issue.  It really ads even more stress knowing that you are dealing with work issues as well.  Hopefully, they will be understanding and accommodating for you.  I'm sure everything will work out the way it is supposed to be.

Thank you, Becky.  I will be following your story, hoping your tumor will not grow and you won't have to deal with it at all.

That said, now that I've decided to have the surgery, I feel strangely relieved about the whole thing.  Dr. Slattery was very reassuring, and I'm happy to deal with this tumor while it is still small, since my symptoms have started to escalate rapidly and the chance of complications will only go up with time.

This has been a terribly stressful couple of weeks.  A good friend's 21-year-old son was killed in a freak motorcycle accident last weekend, the very day he bought the bike.  The funeral was yesterday.  My heart is breaking for her.  Makes my situation look like no big deal.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:15:09 am »
Dear Lizan,

Now that you have decided on which method you want and where you want it. You may find out that you will be sleeping better, it helps to know that our subconscious minds don't do very well when our conscious minds haven't made a choice for us. To plunge the subconcious into confusion can be nightmare inducing with endless possibilities of seemingly tragic consequences. Not good when trying to get a restful sleep (at least not for me). I had decided my choice as well (radiation).

As far as real life consequences in real life, say for example, the motor cyclist being killed the very same day as he bought the motorcycle, it's a tragedy (an uncontrolable sequence of events ) admittedly, but shouldn't be compared to your risk that you are willingly putting yourself through (with a reasonable outcome by the way). You will survive.

Hopefully, you have done your due diligence of research and have placed the rest in God's hands, HE will be guiding the surgeon rest assured.

Have you and the surgeon chosen a date yet?

Mike

Whatever the outcome you have friends here who will be praying for you, rest assured!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

LizAN

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:38 am »
Dear Lizan,

Now that you have decided on which method you want and where you want it. You may find out that you will be sleeping better, it helps to know that our subconscious minds don't do very well when our conscious minds haven't made a choice for us. To plunge the subconcious into confusion can be nightmare inducing with endless possibilities of seemingly tragic consequences. Not good when trying to get a restful sleep (at least not for me). I had decided my choice as well (radiation).

As far as real life consequences in real life, say for example, the motor cyclist being killed the very same day as he bought the motorcycle, it's a tragedy (an uncontrolable sequence of events ) admittedly, but shouldn't be compared to your risk that you are willingly putting yourself through (with a reasonable outcome by the way). You will survive.

Hopefully, you have done your due diligence of research and have placed the rest in God's hands, HE will be guiding the surgeon rest assured.

Have you and the surgeon chosen a date yet?

Mike

Whatever the outcome you have friends here who will be praying for you, rest assured!

Thanks, Mike.

I appreciate the reassurance.  Like I said, the accidental and tragic death of my friend's son makes my situation look easy to handle.

I have not actually chosen a surgeon yet.  I'm wanting information comparing outcomes between the various doctors at HEI and the Vrabec/Trask team in Houston.  I'm not having any luck getting that information, so far.  Can't choose a date until I choose a surgical team.

I thought I would be sleeping better, and at first I did.  Now I find myself second guessing my decision.  I have not really given consideration to radiosurgery, as I'm afraid of the long term unknowns.  Now that I'm serious about the surgery, I'm thinking I should send my records to Dr. Chang, just to get his opinion, which may challenge some of my assumptions.

There are no guarantees, no matter what I do.  I just want to get this taken care of and get on with my life, but right now, I feel a bit stuck.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
Liz,

In that case, I wish you good luck and speedy mail coming to your door! I know that it took 4 weeks to get things moving in my case! I do not wish sleeplessness on anyone. If you believe in prayer then pray for sleep even if you believe in prayer meditation helps as well. You would do well to consider all approaches, but don't get exhausted, whatever you do.  In my case, I had a Patient Advocate (they help a bit).

In all cases do your research then if you still can't decide list the pros/cons of each including travel time and hotel stays and lay them on the floor in front of you
carefully consider each and most importantly who makes you feel (in the interview portion) the most comfortable with their personal style.

Then decide and trust that you have made the right decision.....The rest is in God's hands! HE doesn't make mistakes!

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!