Author Topic: appointment  (Read 7949 times)

peggy43

appointment
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:04:50 am »
Hi i have had my appointment brought forward to the 30th May from July thankgoodness. I am struggling with my symptoms so am hoping they will order MRI straight away so I will know one way or another if I do have an AN. I am hoping it isnt but comparing my symptoms with those I am reading, they are very similar. Does anyone have any tips/sugestions, so that I can get the most out of my appointment?
Thankyou
Peggy

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: appointment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
Dear Peggy,

Ask permission first but most doctors allow you to tape record or you can bring a note taker to your interview as well as taking your own notes, you may want to compile a list of your questions and concerns. Don't make the mistake of coming in with no questions! I assume this is your first interview let him/or her tell you how much time they think you have to do something.

I myself did 3 months of intensive research without the benefit of this forum to ask questions after each interview, but that was in 2004, this is now!  If something seems not right to you say "I have to think about that one" and go do your research on the internet.

At this point you should get at least 3 points of view in my honest opinion and they all should be in the same specialty ie neurosurgeon with neurosurgeon.

Mike

Welcome to the forum if you have any further questions all you need do is come back and ask!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Bonnie B.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:41 am »
Hi Peggy,
I agree with Mike.   Go in to your appointment with all the questions you can think of.   You can bring a spouse, friend etc. with you if you want.  I found that this helped me considerably.  What I didn't remember my spouse did.  It also helps to have some moral support.

The only symptom that I had was NO hearing in my left ear and some fullness.    An MRI was done immediately and I received those results within an hour of having the MRI.  I then took a copy of the MRI disc and started on my quest of meeting with doctors to see which course I would take.  I saw two neurosurgeons, two radiation oncologists and neurootologists.   I did the same with them.  I took another person with me to help sort out the info.  I also wrote down a lot of questions to ask the docs because I knew if I didn't, I would probably forget most of them.   Good luck.
Bonnie
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

MDemisay

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:44:21 am »
Excellent advice Bonnie! Kudos to you!

Thanks!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

peggy43

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:32:14 pm »
Thank you Mike and Bonnie you have certainly given me lots to think about. I hope the time goes quickly now so that I can get it over with and know one way or the other and hopefully get some treatment for whatever is wrong with me.
Thanks again
Peggy

Bonnie B.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »
Once you have a diagnosis and know what treatment you want, you will feel so much relief.   Then, when whatever treatment you decide upon is done, you will really feel great.  Just know that whatever you decide to do will be the right decision for you.

Bonnie
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »
Hi Peggy .....

So glad your appointment has been moved up.  The anxiety of not knowing makes all symptoms worse, it seems.  We all hope you do not have an AN, but if you do, there is a wonderful list of questions for physicians on the ANAUSA home page.  See:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php/overview/questions-for-treating-physician

As the others have said, take someone with you, notebook in hand, to write the answers down while you ask your list of questions.  That way you can make the most of the doctor's limited time.

Best wishes and many thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MDemisay

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:55 am »
Peggie,

First impressions are really important! In every interview step forward shake hands and look him\her in the face. It establishes your seriousness and allows you to guage the candidates nonverbal attitude. Which maybe a deciding factor in the final analysis. Good luck.

Should you wish to, you know you can come here and "talk it out"!

Mike

peggy43

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:58:09 am »
Thank you all for your advice its really helpful. My appointment is tomorrow and i will be so glad to get to the bottom of these horrible symptoms. Tinnitus and headaches are driving me mad!
peggy

millie

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:05:33 am »
Looking forward to how you did.  Am watching and waiting too-until August-but wish I could go sooner.
Mil

peggy43

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:28 am »
Hi again. Well I had my appointment today, it went ok but i had to really push to get doc to agree to do an MRI scan. I had a hearing test which showed loss of high frequency sounds in my right ear. I had balance tests which were normal even though i  nearly fell over! He was not worried about the tinitus, dizziness, headaches and pressure in my ear and said he was 99.9% sure I did not have an AN. He said if it didnt show up in 2006 when I had my last MRI there won't be one now. He did agree to do a non urgent MRI just to put my mind at rest so I should get an appointment in about a month. I suppose its good news that he is sure I don't have an AN but I am worried that something must be causing these symptoms. I hope you don't mind me hanging around for a little longer until I get the all clear from the MRI.
Thanks for listening
Peggy

Chances3

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:46 am »
Hi Peg,

Hang around, even though it seems you don't have a AN, you have many symptoms that AN suffers have, so you're more then welcome to keep posting and being part of this community.  I am happy to hear that your doctor is ordering an MRI for you.  Keep us updated.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »
Peggy ~

Although I hope the MRI scan does not indicate an acoustic neuroma I must caution you that doctors have been proven wrong when dismissing the possibility of an AN being the cause of hitherto unexplained symptoms.  The MRI will answer the question, one way or another, so I'm glad you were able to convince the doctor to order it.  However, as has already been noted, there are a host of possible causes for your symptoms and even if you don't have an acoustic neuroma, the scan may help your physician discover the source of your symptoms.  Meanwhile, of course you're welcome to remain a poster, here.  We're almost as anxious as you are to find out whether your symptoms are AN-related, or if not, what is the cause.  Please update us when you have the MRI date and results.  Thank you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:07:24 am »
Peggy,
I am glad you were able to get the MRI ordered,, and even though I am not a Dr, I believe you need to make sure he orders one WITH contrast or else the tumor may not show up.. and that may be what happened with MRI in 2006.. the  contrast is what makes tumor "glow",, I believe. This may answer more questions than just a "regular" MRI.. just a thought..

Sounds like you have so many symptoms similar to an AN,, and I sure hope you don't have one,,  but something is causing the symptoms,, and Drs. CAN be wrong and have been.. we know our bodies and symptoms more than a Dr that spends about 15 min. with us.. good luck and definitely "hang around" as we all are concerned and interested! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

millie

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:49 am »
Yes, good luck and do stay on the forum as you will learn while you watch and wait.  Like you, I felt my doctors were very easy going considering what I felt I am dealing with.  However maybe that is a reassurance that this is treatable and not necessarily life threatening.
I will watch for your posts but I am not of the computer generation and I still have trouble locating sites -I am never on discussion forums.  Only on the ANA one.
Millie