Author Topic: Surgery and Holiday  (Read 6436 times)

LizAN

Surgery and Holiday
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:26:23 pm »
Has anyone had surgery at St. Vincent's right before a holiday or a weekend?  How well staffed is the hospital at those times?
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Surgery and Holiday
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:21 am »
I have not been there however as a nurse working in a major hospital I know in our hospital if it is not a weekend or a "holiday" the OR and all units assocaited run just the same as any other week day.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:55 am »
Plus many hospitals around here have nurses work  weekend package.     Plus we all had to take a certain amount of holidays.     There are always doctors on call for that particular time to see the patients and be called for what a patient may need.    It is quieter in certain areas, business office,specialty clinic etc as people are off in those sections.      You will still be cared for.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

LizAN

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »
Thanks to both of you.  That's encouraging.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:04:49 pm »
I love everyone is always positive and I do not like to come on with grim or negative remarks so that is why I do not comment very often...But I am almost 100% sure St. Vincent's which is HEI right? That this is a great hospital with the best surgical teams. I am in NY and have been advised that always have surgery early morning as doctors are well rested and never on a Monday after a weekend but again HEI..I am sure is an exception to this rule...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

LizAN

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »
Yeah, pjb, that't the kind of thing I was thinking of, but surely HEI and St. Vincent's have that kind of thing under control?
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:11:59 am »
Yeah, pjb, that't the kind of thing I was thinking of, but surely HEI and St. Vincent's have that kind of thing under control?

Don't worry I truly believe this hospital there is no need for any concern whatsoever .... You will be in good/great hands....

Best Wishes,

LizAN

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:34:16 am »

Don't worry I truly believe this hospital there is no need for any concern whatsoever .... You will be in good/great hands....

Best Wishes,

Thanks, pjb,

I remember there was one patient on this forum who complained about St. Vincent's.  Something about the hospital being understaffed and his sheets not getting changed regularly.  He was worried about getting meningitis from the germs.  Everyone else has given it rave reviews, so I was wondering whether his surgery was near a holiday or a weekend.  Wish I could remember who it was, so I could look at his surgery date.

I'm worrying myself sick over this AN thing.  I wish I didn't have to do this.   :'(

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:53 pm »
I can't speak from personal experience but HEI has a sterling reputation with our members and you don't get that from performing the surgery in an understaffed facility that neglects patients, leaves dirty sheets on the beds and spreads infectious diseases.  Although any hospital stay increases one's risk of contracting some sort of infection/germs, I simply find it hard to believe that this facility (St. Vincent's) that is so closely associated with the famed House Ear Institute is anything less than a very well-run hospital.  It's wise to check out the facility- and I know it's situated in a relatively sketchy neighborhood - but I suspect that some of the concerns being expressed here are unwarranted.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LizAN

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »
I suspect that some of the concerns being expressed here are unwarranted.   

Jim

Jim,

That's exactly what I am hoping...
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:04:01 pm »
You would not get meningitis from the sheets.    In most hospitals any more, sheets are not changed daily.       Anyone with any chance of meningitis would automatically be put in isolation until proven it is bacterial or viral with anyone taking care of them wearing full gown and glove garb.     Mask and all if something is considered airborne.             So try not to worry about that aspect of having surgery.     Actually if it close to a weekend in some ways it is quieter around and makes easier rest time.     Surgery is not fun but I have been thru it 4 times and mine was easier in some ways than some other types of surgery there can be.       The just being tired for what seems like forever but really isn't was the hardest for me even with some issues post op.   
                                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »
I also should have added that any patient in isolation has their linens put in bags and sent to laundry and not be laundered with regular linens.     Thought better add this as is something you assume people would know but some may not.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

LizAN

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »
You would not get meningitis from the sheets.    In most hospitals any more, sheets are not changed daily.       Anyone with any chance of meningitis would automatically be put in isolation until proven it is bacterial or viral with anyone taking care of them wearing full gown and glove garb.     Mask and all if something is considered airborne.             So try not to worry about that aspect of having surgery.     Actually if it close to a weekend in some ways it is quieter around and makes easier rest time.     Surgery is not fun but I have been thru it 4 times and mine was easier in some ways than some other types of surgery there can be.       The just being tired for what seems like forever but really isn't was the hardest for me even with some issues post op.   
                                                            Cheryl R

I also should have added that any patient in isolation has their linens put in bags and sent to laundry and not be laundered with regular linens.     Thought better add this as is something you assume people would know but some may not.                    Cheryl R

Thanks, Cheryl.  Having the appropriate expectations always makes a big difference for me.  I think he was also complaining that the laundry room was directly across from his room.  Some people are very afraid of germs.

I just need to know what to expect so I'm not worried any more than I am already.  It helps to hear from a professional!

I have chronic fatigue.  Recovery time is a genuine concern for me.  I hope I will bounce back as most people do.  On the other hand, I'm used to working even though I don't feel well, so I won't wait until I feel great, which may never happen.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »

Best Wishes,

Thanks, pjb,

I remember there was one patient on this forum who complained about St. Vincent's.  Something about the hospital being understaffed and his sheets not getting changed regularly.  He was worried about getting meningitis from the germs.  Everyone else has given it rave reviews, so I was wondering whether his surgery was near a holiday or a weekend.  Wish I could remember who it was, so I could look at his surgery date.

I'm worrying myself sick over this AN thing.  I wish I didn't have to do this.   :'(

Liz

I never heard of any problems with them the only one that I just found out was Captain Deb with headaches with the Retro approach and was shocked to read that. I didn't hear about that one you just mentioned do not stress I am sure it was not a holiday and do not want to say anything about that person but maybe some are just over cautious about things like that ?  You are going to be just fine they do I believe over 8,000 a year I think I just read..

Best Wishes,