Author Topic: Repeat Question - Return Flight from L.A.  (Read 2964 times)

lrobie

Repeat Question - Return Flight from L.A.
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:29:05 am »
Hi All,

I know I've asked this question previously, but wanted to clarify.  I'm getting ready to make my airline reservations for my return flight from L.A.  My surgery is July 18th and I'm planning on the flight being on July 28th (10th day after surgery).  I am spending the extra money and flying first class.  My tickets will be non-refundable.  They offer insurance protection in case of an emergency for a fee.  I was told that if there are complications and I can't return on the 28th, House has something they can do.  What is it that they do?  Has anyone had this experience and can share what they had to do to postpone their flight?  I'm the one in our family that does all the phone calls/paperwork and worry that my husband will be flustered if this were to occur.

Thank you.

Lisa 
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Repeat Question - Return Flight from L.A.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:51 am »
We flew home on Day 12 post-op with no problems, other than weather delays because of storms all over the country ..... that was a bummer and I was exhausted when finally home, but no health issues because of it.

We flew United using frequent flyer miles on non-refundable tickets.  We were told by House beforehand that they have the forms to fill out for a medically necessary change, should that have occurred.  You may have to pay a "change ticket" fee ..... do not know about that.  If I were you, I would call the airlines you plan to use and specifically ask if you can change your flight with a medically necessary form from your doctor and if so, how much it would cost.

We deliberately chose 12 days post-op, even though House said I could fly 10 days post-op.  I think I could have flown on day 10, but I really felt considerably better by day 12 and glad we planned it that way.

Hope that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
Thank you for the response.  We will be flying United as well.  They are the only airline that I could find a non-stop flight.  I sent an email to Dr. Friedman's assistant and am awaiting her response.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

OTO

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:24 pm »
When I had my surgery in 2007.  I arrived in LA on sunday.  Pre-op testing was all day monday.  Surgery on tuesday.   Stayed in St. Vincent until saturday.   Follow up appointment was friday afternoon and cleared to go home.  It was too late to try and fly out on saturday (had originally scheduled to fly out on monday - 15th day), but was able to reschedule and leave sunday (one day earlier).    Had to pay a change fee but since I had used mileage award on Continental for business class, I felt the out of pocket fee was worth it to get home a day earlier.   Two other patients that had surgery the same day and left on friday.    I think I had to stay a day longer, because I had irregular heartbeat while in ICU, so they kept may longer in ICU and in the hospital (about a day after the others).  So my follow-up was later.