Author Topic: Musicianship at Seton Hall  (Read 2488 times)

LizAN

Musicianship at Seton Hall
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »
My partner would like to bring her viola on the trip to House, to give her something to do and to soothe her nerves while we go through this ordeal.  I know the patients would prefer a quiet environment.  Is there anywhere at Seton Hall (the TV room?) or at the hospital where she would be welcome to practice?

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Musicianship at Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:35 am »
Hi Liz .....

Although the rooms at Seton are quite sound-proof, not sure if the sound of a viola would carry through the walls.  If I were you I would check with the Seton Hall hostess (it was Jeanine Samoy a year ago ..... do not know if she is still there or doing that.) and see about other rooms not in range of sleeping rooms.

My husband and I both had to laugh and said almost simultaneously, "she should do some busking down in the tunnel."  ;D

Actually, we had a wonderful experience following my first AN surgery at Duke-Raleigh Hospital.  My husband was coming up the elevator after a trip to the Cafeteria, when a young woman got on the elevator with a cello case.  She got off on my floor (my husband trailing behind wondering where she was going with a cello).  She went into a room a couple of doors away from me.  My husband came in to my room and was ever so curious about this.  Soon we began to hear wonderful classical solo cello repertoire ..... for almost an hour.  We found out later the patient's husband had arranged for this NC Symphony cello player to come play for his wife.  What a treat we had!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sterry

Re: Musicianship at Seton Hall
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »
What a great idea!  Liz, I think it is an excellent way to help heal after surgery. My  children  play the violin,and I sometimes get to "forget" about my noisy head while I listen :) I vote to take!
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well