Author Topic: Natural remedies anyone ??  (Read 7536 times)

tatianne

Natural remedies anyone ??
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:27 am »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried any natural remedies in order to try and slow down or stop the growth of their AN or maybe to help with the symptoms.
Acupuncture, Reiki, Massage, Aromatherapy, vitamins, supplements, changes in diet ??
I have read that foods high in sugar is what these growths feed off of, im not sure if this is accurate though.
If you have tried any natural remedies have they helped and for which symptom ?
Do any foods or activities trigger symptoms to increase ??

Im trying massage and reiki treatments, Im going to see a naturopath to discuss diet and supplements. Since Im waiting and watching i decided that I might as well do whatever i can to improve my healing potential. What do i have to loose ?? At worst I will keep myself busy. ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:42:52 am by tatianne »
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Sefra22

Re: Natural remedies anyone ??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:37:40 am »
I don't know of any remedies, but I am curious about the high surgar diet connection. Do you remember where you read that?
I would love to learn more about it.
Thanks!
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

tatianne

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:54:58 am »
i will try and find it and get back to you.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

nannettesea

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:55:43 pm »
Tatianne,
I've been trying everything possible for my ongoing symptoms of constant dizziness (just ask Phyl), now one year post-op.  When (and I say WHEN to be positive) I find something, will let you know.  Am doing aggessive acupressure and upper cervical chiropractic at the moment.  Also doing supplements for brain activity, and anti-depressants for depression.  Tried acupuncture, no help, reiki, some relief but haven't done it long enough.

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

tatianne

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:11:06 pm »
i have stron beliefs that our emotional/spiritual well being creates our physical.
i am an extremely stressed individual, i have health anxiety(so you can only imagine what this is doing to me) and im easily depressed.
I take anti an anti depressent and i have been for years...it all started about 5 years ago.
I have an ex husband who decided to leave me for his 23 year old student, they are now married.
Hes very controlling and still tries very hard to control me and I feel one day will be the same with the children.
I have alot of past issues from childhood that have not been dealt with as well.
I guess i think its time to clean out my closest, get to the bottom of this anxiety and this AN, face it head on.
I want to be able to relax despite this AN, despite the ex, despite the past. I want to feel the pain,learn, grow and move forward.
Reiki has helped me a great deal, its a great way to clear out your nrgative energy and helps to create new positive energy.
My tinnitus is always less after a good massage, probably becaus eim more relaxed then normal.
I have already noticed that caffeine increases the ringing, so no more for me.
This is a wake up call for me. Everyday is precious and to be enjoyed, Im not going to ignore this wake up call. Everything in life happens for a reason, a good reason one way or the other.
Im rambling on but it feels good to vent a little bit.
Have a great evening everyone.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 12:02:23 am »
Tatianne, I think you are heading in the right direction. You are taking a positive, pro-active approach to the problem and that is all good!  Wish I could go get a massage!!  Sounds wonderful.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tony

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:51 am »
I was sorry to hear of your troubles both past and present
The key issue now is the contest that is coming - all the past troubles
are now just history - sad maybe - but history.
 you need to get well, and get ready.
The focus of your mind has to be
"TATIANNE GETS WELL !"
Gentle exercise, a light diet and regular balance exercises are in order.
Up till our problems most of us just balanced - without really having to think
about it - now its a concious effort, a skill or, ability that has to be developed.

Finally herbal remedies are fine but you need to check them carefully
- I was on St Johns Wort (which is first rate) when I had the first surgery.
One of is less known side effects - it thins the blood and reduces clotting
They found out that little gem on the operating table
- when they couldnt stop the bleeding......
...lucky to be here really...
Best Regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:55:23 am »
HI T,
  As my mom says..that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  Heck, I'm going to audition as the strong woman in a circus at the rate things are going!  I'm curious about the sugar connection as well. 

Nan..you have a chiro that will adjust your neck? :o  I've had two that are good friends of mine both say..NO WAY!!   :'(

T I lived my life like you are describing with the control thing...I read a great book (trying to think of the name) that helped open my eyes to the triggers and helped me gain strength. I'm not retrieving the title but if you're interested I'll figure it out.

M

pattibobatti

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:59:10 am »
Good morning!
      After reading your post it seems we have some things in common. 
 I really like your attitude!!!!!!!!!The trick is to find a way to keep the great attitude going.
I hope this helps.
This morning at 4 am. my son called me . He's 23 years old and away at college.  So, I knew something was real wrong...He said his house was on fire and just barely got out. He was SOUND asleep and his roommate kicked in the door and screamed to get out.  My son told me that me could not see his friend at all but they got out. The fire fighters told him that he had about 2 more minute
s to live in that house .........
       So, today it is very easy to live with any of my AN problems...
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

tatianne

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 11:03:25 am »
thank God your son got out ! Does he have somewhere to go ? He wasnt hurt at all ??
Your right, its all in how we look at things. The power or our mind, of our thoughts is incredible, so be careful what you think about, what you focus on.
Its very difficult to stay positive, to keep a good attitude but i always remember that knowing what i have to do is the first step at getting there.
God bless you and your son, we thank him for your miracle.
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

pattibobatti

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:43:30 pm »
My son is fine!  I just spoke wirh him and I would say that it's "sinking in".... And just to hear his great voice today is enough for me!This will be an emotional day for me but it sure shows me what reallly matters..

On a lighter side, when Derek (my son) called me and after we had talked for a long while I said, ''Derek, you need to get down on your knees and thank GOD.''I could barely hear him but he said,  MOM, I can't now.....there is about 50 people standing around!!!''He's such a great person and I'm so thankful  that when we drive 7 hours tomarrow to watch hiim graduate from college, we didn't have to drive there today for another reason..

Kiss those babies you have with you today, Tatianne

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 02:16:04 pm »
If this were a few years ago, I'd be enthusiastically brimming over with all kinds of tips and advice. I remember reading that "Chickweed" and "Red Root"  were supposed to possess anti-tumescent properties. Being somewhat "firocystic" and having other innocuous lumps on my body, I dutifully stocked up on these herbs and began imbibing liberal amounts of the stuff every day. Guess what? Nothing happened over a long, long period of time. I gave up on it. Maybe I wasn't doing things right and had to take it in conjunction with other herbs. There are homeopathic doctors out there and I have heard good things about them. I know there's a guy near where I live that is also a full, licensed M.D. as well as a Homeopath. It's a good thing to have the best of both worlds. I have friends who are deeply involved with the holistic lifestyle up in Maine. I remember approximately a little over a year and a half ago, being up in Maine and visiting with a Kinesiologist - a guy that had allegedly cured himself from prostate cancer. At the time, my equilibrium was getting worse by the day and I'd been seeing double and feeling like hell since 2002. He went through his moves with me and came to the conclusion that it was "my liver" that was responsible for my malaise. For a while after that, I was running around thinking that I had heavy metal poisoning in my liver. I can scarcly forgive people like that giving others what could be a bum, lethal steer.

From my experience with this condition - what saved my hide was the good old American Medical Association. Those guys have earned my respect in a big way! I don't care what any of those quack, quick buck artitist, snake oil salesmen say. "Kevin Trudeau" can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned!

My advice: Seek out the the most competent and experienced doctors in this field. Don't delude yourself with quack cures and remember: nothing can take the place of a good, balanced diet and exercise!

Take Care, Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 03:51:57 pm »
Tatianne,
They don't call this a support group for nothing!!  I don't know what i"d do without all the folks here--I've had chronic headaches since 10 days post-op--some of them are so bad I end up in the ER cuz Dr. Love thinks I'm having a stroke.  iIf I Hadn't found these wonderful folks, I might have ended it all. Really. Keep posting, cry, and most of all be silly--it sure puts things into perspecctive.

Capt Deb
PS Sugar connection to AN? Rampant chocoholism on this forum? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 07:15:15 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried any natural remedies in order to try and slow down or stop the growth of their AN or maybe to help with the symptoms.
Acupuncture, Reiki, Massage, Aromatherapy, vitamins, supplements, changes in diet ??
I have read that foods high in sugar is what these growths feed off of, im not sure if this is accurate though.
If you have tried any natural remedies have they helped and for which symptom ?
Do any foods or activities trigger symptoms to increase ??

Im trying massage and reiki treatments, Im going to see a naturopath to discuss diet and supplements. Since Im waiting and watching i decided that I might as well do whatever i can to improve my healing potential. What do i have to loose ?? At worst I will keep myself busy. ;D
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 07:28:26 pm »
HI, 
I am new to this site as of 10 min ago.   I found your mention of sugar laden foods feeding an AN tumo quite interesting and am now going to research it.  If this is true, you may want to read the Suzanne Somers books on "Somersizing" It is really a diet program but the research she has in her books is very interesting on how all the hidden sugars in the foods we eat play havoc on our systems. I read them as a resource to try and get some of the weight off that I have gained since my AN surgery almost 2 yrs ago. Going from very active to zip because of the debilitating headaches and severe vertigo since the surgery has caused me to be much less active. I would be interested to see if anyone has found any natural remedy for the vertigo, headaches,tennitus, etc that come post AN surgery. Doing the massaage etc is good. I have had nothing but probelms with my neck from the position they had it in during the 7 hr long surgery and massage really helps, with the headaches too.  Hope you find something good that is natural,  and I'd love to hear about it, in the meantime, keep a watch on the sugar intake.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year