Author Topic: Two years post GK - will I still improve?  (Read 2454 times)

smcij

Two years post GK - will I still improve?
« on: June 05, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »
Hi

I had GK stereotactic radiotherapy just over two years ago.  Follow-up MRI a year ago showed AN being destroyed internally, next one due in 9 months.  I'm wondering if there's still time for improvement in my symptoms.  Compared to others I'm probably not doing too badly but still suffer from -

Dry eyes/blurry vision - I use drops, particularly at night.  My optician doesn't seem to have knowledge of ANs and says it's floaters so not much can be done.

Balance problems - I haven't yet found a way to describe my feelings or read of anyone having similar.  I have no problem balancing, standing on one leg etc. it's more a feeling of disorientation or feeling remote from my surroundings.  I hardly notice this indoors but when walking around outside.

Poor concentration and inability to retain new information.  I'm struggling with many aspects of my job.

Low mood and feelings of nothing to look forward to even when there is and how I will cope with any of life's difficulties.

Tiredness, and falling asleep easily if I sit down during the day.  I fall asleep immediately at night but wake in the middle of the night and even if I get a good night's sleep feel worse when I wake up than when I went to bed.

"Headaches" - but meaning sharp twinges or pain from the AN site.

Inability to cope with stress, the smallest problems cause pressure in my head and feelings of panic.

Am I unusual to still be experiencing all this!  It's a year till my next followup appointment.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:08:51 pm by smcij »
Gamma knife radiotherapy March 2010

PaulW

Re: Two years post GK - will I still improve?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »
Some of these things maybe caused by an AN, but a lot of things you mentioned might not be too..
Some of what you are describing fits the description of symptoms of sleep aponea.
Do you snore?
Might be worth having a sleep study done.
A CPAP machine may help you.   
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »
I agree with Paul.

Side-effects of GK often take as long as 18-24 months to surface, but some of the things you mention probably aren't related to the GK.

You might want to check in with your doctor, if you haven't already.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

smcij

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I do sleep better when I'm not working so don't think I've got sleep apnoea.  I don't snore and am not overweight.

All the symptoms started when I developed the AN.  I was quite relieved to see all my symptoms mentioned by someone on this forum as it stopped me imagining I'd got some other condition.  Most of them hadn't been acknowledged by my surgeon.

At least the ear pain and the tinnitus (almost) have gone.
Gamma knife radiotherapy March 2010