Author Topic: Chelsea is home  (Read 2918 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea is home
« on: August 11, 2006, 09:11:54 am »
Hi All,

Well, after almost 8 weeks, we are finally home from the hospital.  We came home on Tues. Aug. 8th and like the saying goes, "There's no place like home".  Therapy continued without much of a break.  An RN came Wed. morn to evaluate her and her speech and physical therapist followed.  The RN will be back today and the OT comes tomorrow.  She came home with a feeding tube (G-tube) as she still has no swallow.  We are all hoping this will return within the next month or two.

We never could get her matted hair brushed out after trying all detanglers, conditioners, mayonaise, and peanut butter.  She said this morning to just cut it off.  I'm glad this is HER decision.  Some of things that are bothering her are stiff neck and pain on AN side and headache and pain at the incision site.  Doctor said this is to be expected.

She will be seeing an eye surgeon in a couple weeks to discuss correcting the tracking in the right eye.  Then at the end of the year she'll return to UCLA for 6 weeks of radiation (5 days per week).  I know this will be a long and on going journey of ups and downs for Chelsea but she has so far been nothing but positive which will contribute to her rapid recovery.  Her friends decorated the entrance of the house with WELCOME HOME CHELSEA and her room was filled with balloons, flowers and posters of encouraging quotes and photos of happy times.  Within and hour of being home she had a steady flow of friends that came to visit.  She was able to use her voice non-stop and the next morning her voice was a little bit stronger.  The speech therapist said talking is one of the best exercises she can do to regain her voice. 

She gets tired easily and I wonder if the beta-blocker that they have her on to lower her heart rate isn't contirbuting to this.  I'm sure it doesn't help. 

Chrissmom and Taylor.. How's everything going?? Taylor, when is your eye surgery?  How are you feeling?

To All....Thanks for the prayers and support.          Michelle

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Chelsea is home
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:20:04 am »
Michelle,
  Great news that Chelsea is at home.  We are ALL pulling for her and wishing for the best.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 09:31:15 am »
Amazing....please tell her that we're all pulling for her, and to keep up the positive attitude!!!  I KNOW it helped me in my healing having all the positive thoughts and prayers from everyone.  I was out of it for a lot of this story since I had surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago, but all my AN buddies kept me up to date on Chelsea...so there's a lot of us out there thinking of her.  She's doing great!  And thank goodness for mom's and family....I know this well as my mom is still here helping me and I'm much older than Chelsea!  I hope when things are well and healing has progressed, that you guys can go on a nice spa vacation together!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

cinnamon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 09:31:40 am »
I am glad she is home, I know I was. Just take it one day at a time. I am praying for her and hoping all is well with her and her family.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:41:06 pm »
 ;D Wooooooooo Hooooooooo Chelsea is finally home!!!!!!!!! This great news Michelle. I know you and your family must be so happy to have your lives returning to a wee bit of normalcy. You are so right..."There is NO place like home".  ;D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:23:21 pm »
clelsmom:

I still don't know every bit of Chelseas' medical 'history' but I know she's had a terrible time of it with many complications to deal with.  That she has had you by her side, Michelle, and that she continues to maintain a positive attitude is inspiring.  Both of you have our collective support and my personal prayers are going out for both of you.

Tell Chelsea that short hair is cute.  ;) 

Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:26:49 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 05:43:46 pm »
YYYYYAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chelsea's Home!!!!!!
Please know that we have all been pulling for her and all your family, Mom.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:44:45 pm »
So glad Chelsea is home now.  And since there is no such thing as a non-talking teenager, I'm sure she will strengthen her voice daily!!  I agree with Jim, short hair is cute. She can do a Sienna Miller thing.  Very trendy. Long hair is so last millenium!!  

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode