Author Topic: Tooth pain  (Read 8972 times)

luvzmutt

Tooth pain
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:58:50 am »
I have been having horrible tooth pain the past few days (just my front 2 - 4 upper teeth).  It feels somewhat like the pain I get with a sinus infection, but it is worse.  It feels like my gums are on fire.  I did a google search and found that this could possibly be trigeminal neuralgia.  I was wondering if anyone has/had experienced this as a result of having an AN, and if so, what did you do for the pain.  I am W&W and am not scheduled for my next MRI until December.
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

Mark H

Re: Tooth pain
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »
I used to have teeth pain but no more. Of course that might could be because I don't have any teeth except my nice pop-in store bought ones.  ;D
I also have neurofibromatosis (2) which according to my dentist might or might not be why they went bad one by one. Or maybe just bad gums. Either way when I was down to eight teeth left scattered around and couldn't eat much of anything I had the rest yarded out and got the dentures. Now I can eat most anything and have a mouthful of choppers.
Mark

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:18:38 pm »
Sorry for your tooth pain.

I am not a doctor, but having suffered through trigeminal neuralgia and subsequent decompression surgery, I have learned a great deal.  It would be unusual to have trigeminal nerve pain across your upper front 2-4 teeth unless you really mean it is all on the same side of the mid-point.  There are two trigeminal cranial nerves ..... one originating on each side of the brain stem and coming each from the back of the head around to the face from both sides.  Each nerve splits into three branches as it comes to the face.  It is not unusual to have pain in just one or two branches (depending upon where the compression on the nerve is occurring), but it normally ends at the mid-point of that side.

My trigeminal pain was only in the middle and upper branches so my pain was across my forehead and across my cheek, but not along my jaw ..... but both ending at the mid-point.  My trigeminal neuralgia was unrelated to my acoustic neuroma and in fact, was on the opposite side.

If an AN is pressing on the trigeminal nerve, it can cause trigeminal pain.  In most cases, it is relieved when the AN is removed and/or decompression surgery is performed.

If this is a sudden new symptom and it does not stop on its own soon, I would certainly contact my doctor and tell him/her of this new symptom.

Hopes and prayers that it is not trigeminal pain, but a sinus infection.  Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

millie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:20:50 pm »
I don't have the greatest teeth either.  As a matter of fact, I think sometimes my neuroma is due to all the x-rays for dental work I have had in my life-they started when I was 9 and I am now 64 and I've had a ton of work.  Now I need an old post and its cap extracted, but I have been putting it off for three years because I will have a gap in my upper left side-same side as the neuroma.  I have asked doctors if my teeth and the neuroma are connected since that upper left gets inflamed and sometimes I have had to quiet it down with antibiotics.  The bone is eroded now and it just needs an extraction.
Have you gone to the dentist -maybe you have an infection in your bone?  That is what I had. and the antibiotic cured it and it's been okay for two years but that tooth is unstable and tender.  After my MRI I am having it  taken out.  We can only do one thing at a time! 
I'd call the ENT and the dentist.
Feel better.
Millie