Author Topic: Back to the hospital for Chels  (Read 6065 times)

chelsmom

Back to the hospital for Chels
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:27:38 am »
I guess I spoke too soon.  This morning Chelsea woke up with a terrible headache--the worst pain since the surgery.  Tylenol didn't touch it so I called the docter for something stronger.  He told us to come to emergency right away....2 hour drive.
When we got here they discovered that the shunt wasn't working right and she had some swelling on the brain.  They did a minor surgery to pull the shunt tube from her chest and hook it up to the Becker Brain Drain.  After the fluid checks out that there is no infection they will do another shunt surgery on Monday.  Looks like we'll be here until the end of next week.  She has finally had it with all of this and just wants a normal teenage life.  Thanks for you cheers and good wishes....Michelle

tony

Re: Back to the hospital for Chels
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:13:57 am »
I was sorry to hear of your troubles - it seems they have reacted fast
and have the situation under control - which is good news
I am sure all on the list wish you and chelsea well,
and an ongoing recovery
Best regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 10:09:50 am »
Big Hugs to Chels and You!
Sending special prayers for a speedy recovery and home again home again!

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:19:16 am »
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!!!!
Lynn

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 11:25:44 am »
So sorry--at least they caught it fast.  She'll make it through, and so will you.
our love and prayers,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 12:19:50 pm »
Well, crud!!  So sorry Chelsea is back in the hospital, but so glad her problem will be dealt with fast.  Poor kid.  Not surprising her patience is wearing thin about now.  I'm sure she wishes she would wake up from this nightmare and find out this never happened. On the other hand, she (and her family) have such strength and I'm sure she will be able to deal this this setback with her usual fighting spirit. Thinking of Chelsea and her family and praying for a fast return home.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 12:31:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about Chelsea's dilemma. I speak from experience when I say that shunt installations can be troublesome. I had my shunt installed a year ago this week. The first installation somehow became dislodged and I was rushed back into surgery the next morning.
Needless to say, it was a good thing that I was still in the hospital when it failed! Once the shunts are in place, they usually hold up very well. I have a younger cousin that had a shunt installed as an infant in the early sixties. I remember her coming home from the hospital and seeing the scar on her head.  She still has it to this day even though it is no longer operational. Today she is healthy, strong and in her early forties with two grown children.

I had my 5cm x 5cm A.N. removed or debulked a month later in September.
I hope everything turns out well for Chelsea!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:29:34 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that...I know when I had the CSF leak, and the tube worked it's way out and I had to have it reinstalled, and I puked everywhere, and my IV infultrated...it seemed like it would never end and even easy tasks seemed to go wrong....and I wanted to give up....I didn't and somehow it all stopped and got better...please tell Chelsea not to get discouraged that it will get better if she just holds out for it.   I know it was really hard on my mom, so Michelle, you hang in there too.  Things WILL settle down and get better.  Thinking of you guys and sending out the positive thoughts for you from the NW side of the country!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Raydean

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 04:09:25 pm »
I'm truly sorry to hear about the shunt, but am very glad for the speedy repair!!  Know that Chelsea and you both are in our thoughts and hearts.  Both of you are very remarkable people.   Take good care and please keep us updated.

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 08:36:34 pm »
Oh, poo! Sorry to hear of more problems for Chelsea. What a tough kid you have. Sending you and her and the rest of your family lots of hugs and prayers.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

chrissmom

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 07:08:45 pm »
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.  Just when you think you are getting one step ahead, you take 2 steps back.  If its any consolation, remember Chris had his shunt fail while in the hospital.  They almost sent him home but I noticed that he slept all day, had the headache and was breathing labored.  They immediately got a CT, blood work etc. and an emergency surgery insued to pull the shunt and they put in an external drain.  Chris was kept in neuro-ICU while he had the external drain. 

Anyway, I have some good news for you... Chris is coming home on WED.  He is doing well in rehab and if all goes well, he's coming home.  He hasn't been home in 2 months. Tell Chelsea we are pulling for her.  I tell Chris about her and he wishes her the best.

cookiesecond

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 08:24:52 pm »
Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you guys. Keep up the good work.
Lynn

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 10:28:08 pm »
We're cheering for ya Chels.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

chelsmom

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 02:22:26 am »
Thanks eveyone.  Well Chelsea's spirits are better.  Still wishing she was not here at the hospital but not angry anymore.  She was venting at the doctors and nurses and then realized that this is not there fault and lightened up on them.  Boy, the wrath of a teenage girl half drugged is not a pretty sight.  She felt bad and told them she was sorry.  Her surgery is Monday afternoon and hopes she'll be able to go home Tues. or Wed.  I think she'll be here longer and I want her here until they are sure everything is OK.   Thanks again for the love and support you all show to us and each other.  Sometimes my childish side thinks "why can't everyone in this messed up, angry, greedy and fanatical world be as kind to each other as they are on this site.  Childish!!!
Michelle

tony

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 03:31:16 am »
I am not sure it will make her feel any better - but the all time record (in the UK)
for a shunt failure was exactly 10 hrs after surgery
- given the typical service life is ten years or so
it gives some idea of the problem.
More seriously though - problems/complications may have been  worse if
the situation had allowed to continue - but given the short space of time,
and quick reactions, things should return to normal.
Actually a "bad tempered" teanager sounds about right to me
when she demands "playstation" or changes the TV channel
every 5 secs - you will know she`s fixed...
Best Regards
Tony