Author Topic: Spicey Foods Revisited  (Read 4312 times)

Boppie

Spicey Foods Revisited
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:04:13 pm »
I have other issues with spicy cooking.  I get invited to beautiful scrumptious meals that make my tongue crazy!

Any cures or favorite tricks to calm down the nerves on the tongue?

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Spicey Foods Revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:35:43 pm »
Interesting, as I find that I am seeking out spicy foods because they have more flavor. But then, I'm not a surgical patient...so maybe it's different. But the AN side of my mouth has a distinctly different feel than the right side. I can taste things, but the taste is better on the right side of my mouth, I think.  I haven't tasted anything, so far, that has bothered me or tasted funny, but I know I'm not tasting my food the same as before. But I'm grateful I haven't lost all my taste buds! That would be horrible.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 01:10:14 pm »
Same problem here. The sylivia on the AN side doesn't produce and I havevery altered taste on that side. Also when they cut into my jaw muscle to open up the skull (middle foscia)  they seemed to have shortened it when putting it back together as I cannot open my mouth very wide now. Spicy foods seem much stronger and not as appealing as they used to be. They smell good but don't taste the same. I had always been a salt aholic and now everything is too salty.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

matti

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 03:02:07 pm »
When I eat spicy foods, the AN side of my head and face turns red and feels very warm, the sensation will target two areas on my arm as well.

Patti - I am with you on the salty stuff. Before surgery I salted everything, since then I can't tolerate ANY salt. Sometimes even a diet coke tastes really salty. On a positive note, less salt is healthier for us :)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

cookiesecond

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 05:58:41 pm »
Before surgery I salted everything! After surgery everything tasted too salty. Now a year post op things are pretty much back to normal in the taste realm. I do still get nauseated! YUCK!!!!
Lynn

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 08:05:52 pm »
Same problem here. The sylivia on the AN side doesn't produce and I havevery altered taste on that side. Also when they cut into my jaw muscle to open up the skull (middle foscia)  they seemed to have shortened it when putting it back together as I cannot open my mouth very wide now. Spicy foods seem much stronger and not as appealing as they used to be. They smell good but don't taste the same. I had always been a salt aholic and now everything is too salty.
Patti UT
I had middle fossa, too, and when I went to my dentist for a cleaning and her looked in my mouth, which I couldn't  open very wide either, he gave me jaw stretching excercises to do--glad I did 'em as I have had 2 crowns on back molars which would have been really difficult for both of us.When was your surgery? You can list your particulars on your profile page--go to profile and "modify profile" and list them under "signature."
Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW