Author Topic: MRI done  (Read 8274 times)

peggy43

MRI done
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:37:10 am »
Hi I have just had my MRI done but am a bit concerned as they didn't do it with contrast. After all your advice saying it needs to be done with contrast, I had no say in the matter! Does this mean that if the results come back clear I cannot trust them? I was hoping that this MRI would show either way whether I did or did not have an AN. The MRI I had done 7 years ago was with contrast from what I remember.  The machine this morning was brand new and very advanced apparently. I really hoped this would be an end to the not knowing. I will just have to wait for results now and see what's what I suppose.
Peggy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: MRI done
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:33:48 am »
Hi Peggy

An AN can be spotted via MRI without contrast but not seen as clearly as with contrast.  The contrast with "light up" any growth to give the radiologist/physician a better view of a growth.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

peggy43

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:54:50 am »
Thankyou for your reply phyl, I dont have an appointment for the results until August 29th so this is going to niggle away at me for some time.

Can I ask everyone how long did you wait for your results?

Also if there is an AN will they get in touch sooner or because its not an emergency will they wait till my appointment to give me results? I am in UK so I know things are different over here and would be grateful if any uk residents could reply.

Thankyou so much
Peggy

peggy43

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:28 am »
This waiting is killing me! symptoms still bad though dizzines has subsided.
Peggy

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
Peggy,

Try doing something that is very, very distracting.....Walking, solving cross word puzzles, taking long walks on the beach, exercising,reading, alphabetizing bills (only when extremely bored!), move furniture in a feng sheu pattern, and  try practicising yoga.....

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:21:11 pm »
The Gadolinium contrast agent has been known to cause kidney failure. While the risk is low, it's something all radiologists would be aware of and certainly where I live Australia, they will only use the Gadolinium Contrast Agent if its absolutely necessary.

When I was first diagnosed they tried an MRI without contrast, I saw the screen, the AN was barely visible.. they decided they could not see my AN well enough, so they gave me the contrast, and the AN showed up like a light bulb.
Wind forward 6 months, New Machine... No Contrast... and the AN showed up quite well without contrast..

So don't feel cheated, it may have saved your kidneys!

I questioned the lack of contrast, but after seeing the MRI, I can understand why the radiologist was happy with the result without the contrast agent on the new machine.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Lou

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:38:57 am »
Ahhhh, I see you are in the UK, me too. Go to your GP, they can look up the results.if the results haven't been posted on the hospital reporting system they can call and get the results. But be aware they may not understand the results, my go called me at work prior to being told exactly what was wrong and told me I had two.brain tumors, not good. They noticed mine on a ft so they would see them without dye,just not so bright. If they had any cause for concern they will schedule a new MRI with contrast. The UK system sucks but be persistant. Where in the UK are you
Good luck
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

peggy43

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:38:28 am »
Hi lou thanks for your reply i am in leeds. I have been left a message on my answer phone to say that a letter has been done about my results but they are waiting for the consultant to sign it! The secretary said if I ring tomorow she will read it out to me. Its almost a month since the scan, why dont they think we will worry and want to know ASAP?  Do you mind me asking how long did you have to wait for your results?
Thanks again
peggy

peggy43

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:34 am »
PS where in the UK are you?
Peggy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
PS where in the UK are you?

Peggy ~

I seem to recall that Lou resides in Oxford.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PamJ

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
Hi Peggy I'm also in the UK.  When I had my first MRI scan I was contacted within 2 days.  Having said that when I went to the hospital they decided it was best to wait and watch and but eventually had the tumour taken out.  From what I understand because acoustic neuromas are slow growing there is no immediate panic to have them out.  Also while I was on wait and watch I had 2 CT scans and they could see the tumour on those scans but obviously MRIs give better results so if you did not have the dye it doesn't mean you will get a false reading.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Sarah Jane

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:24:59 am »
Peggy,
I am just catching up on the more recent posts.
 What did you find out from your MRI?