Author Topic: pre-treatment eye issues  (Read 1899 times)

riggsflute

pre-treatment eye issues
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:45:39 pm »
Hi  everyone.  I was diagnosed about 2 months ago, so I'm still a newbie and figuring this all out.  I'm having trouble with my eyes -- almost like they don't want to focus right.  They sometimes feel kind of sluggish or heavy.  I went on a day trip yesterday and noticed it the most driving on the fwy.  Just seemed so difficult to drive.  Wondering if others experience this?  If this is a common part of AN balance issues or if it's something else to get checked out?  Thanks, Julie

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: pre-treatment eye issues
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »
Hi Julie: I didn't have a problem with eyesight (other than my nearsightedness) related to diagnosis of AN, doesn't mean it isn't possible. Since it is something new, I'd check it out to be sure. Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: pre-treatment eye issues
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:12:55 am »
I still have that problem 2 years post-op. I am wonky 24-7...my good side never fully accepted its responsibility to balance me. My eyes are what I use to balance. Close my eyes and I usually fall down. My eyes are always so focused on balancing me, that everything else is a blur. I can change my focus and begin to "look" at things, and then I get totally wonky. If I go to the grocery store and start looking for an item on a shelf, it just sends me into a spin.

It seems like most people here go through this problem as a newbie, and then their good side begins to compensate for the AN side. For what ever reason, my remaining  vestibular just never kicked in. I had a stroke right before my AN was discovered, and my brain does not function with "new" information very well any more. That could be why I am wonky all the time.

My experience here is you will very likely get back to "normal". You good vestibular side will take over, and you eyes will go back to "seeing" things instead of balancing you.

James