Author Topic: 1 year post op!! feeling WONDERFUL!!!!!  (Read 3546 times)

sarahinPA

1 year post op!! feeling WONDERFUL!!!!!
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:56:29 am »
Hello Everyone!!! I havnt posted in quite some time. I had to stop coming to the site for awhile after surgery, because everytime i came on here, i thought the sky was falling; i thought i had another problem and needed to go back to my doctor. So, with that said, the sky is not and has not fallen, and i feel fantastic!

After surgery i had some problems, including not being able to swallow for 8 days, developing a blood clot in my lungs, and pnemonia :( but, after getting through all of that, and moving forward, im feeling quite well.

I have some tighteness at my incision site, doctor says its muscle, and that the uncomfortableness wont go away, and i will have to live with it. I have adjusted to the single sided deafness well, and have decided that i will NOT be getting an aid device.  Once in awhile, when i bend over, i get some weird pains in my head, and i get some pressure feeligns behind my eye, but all of my scans continue to come back great, and i have now worries!

I want to thank everyone on here that has given me so much support during this past year, and even years when i first was diagnosed with my AN. It has been life changing for me, but I look at it in the most positive way, and know that I have only been given this obstacle in my life because God knows I can handle it. It has made me stronger and allowed me to learn so much, and meet some wonderful people.

One positive that ive taken from this all...when i sleep, i lay on my good ear, blocking out all and any outside noise with my deaf ear.. i have never slept so good in my life!!! HAHA
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1 year post op!! feeling WONDERFUL!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Hi, Sarah-in-PA ~

Thanks for updating us on your recovery and I'm delighted that the ANA discussion forums proved so helpful to you.  Your generous words are very much appreciated.

I'm pleased to learn that you're through the rough patches and that your recovery seems to be progressing fairly normally, now, almost a full year post-op.  I'd like to suggest that some of the issues you mentioned may well disappear in time.  As the incision wound completely heals and the bone ossifies the area may begin to feel relatively normal.  Mine does.  Like you, I've opted to adjust to being SSD and have done so fairly well, I believe.  Yes, I 'miss' a few things that are said, have to think about my positioning at a table (in a meeting) and I cannot tell what direction a sound is coming from but these issues don't seem to really affect my quality of life, as I trust they will not negatively affect yours.  Of course, the BAHA or other hearing aid remains an option, should my ability to adjust to being SSD ever become too burdensome.  As you noted, sleeping on the 'good' ear does tend to induce a better night's sleep.  :)

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »
Thanks for sharing your update.  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:44 pm »
Hi Sarah!!  Congrats on the one year ANniversary!  Time flies when you are having fun, doesn't it? :)  It sounds like you have a very good outlook on things dispite some of the issues you had, but you came through and life is good!  And yes, that is a nice thing about being SSD, isn't it, the sleeping?  I just love that little noises don't wake me up anymore!  Take care and see you in another year! :)

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:01:45 am »
Hi Sarah,

It has been a long time.  I wondered if you would ever come back.  Congrats on feeling wonderful!!  I decided not to go with UPMC and scheduled with House on July 18th.  Take care.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

sarahinPA

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

LISA, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR UPCOMING SURGERY...IM SURE THAT THE FOLKS ON HERE HAVE BEEN A GREAT SUPPORT FOR YOU. IM GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE CHOOSEN A DOCTOR AND ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR CHOICE.  REMEMBER, MY SURGEON TOLD ME,   BE AT PEACE WITH THIS, BECAUSE IT IS IN HIS HANDS NOW.

GOOD LUCK! i WILL BE POSTING MORE OFTEN NOW TO SUPPORT OTHERS IN NEED!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »
Glad you're feeling wonderful.

Congrats!!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways