Author Topic: Tomorrow is the Big Day  (Read 5625 times)

LizAN

Tomorrow is the Big Day
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
Well, the big day is almost here.  Cat and I are at Seton Hall.  Today was my full day of doctor appointments and tests - 8:30 to 5:30 with a very short break for lunch.  I met Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan, Dr. Kari, and Dr. Slattery, and I liked them all!  Dr. Kari is one of the current fellows in training at House.

We had a heck of a time getting here on Saturday.  Our flight out of Austin was delayed by 3 hours.  When we finally got to LA, our rental car threatened to blow up on us as soon as we pulled it out on the freeway.  There was something wrong with the transmission and smoke was billowing out of the tail pipe.  We had to pull over and call the company to come pick us up.  By the time we finally fell into bed at Seton Hall, laughing hysterically at the insanity of the day, it was 1am in LA, which was 3am at home in Texas.

We spent Sunday driving around a bit, scouting out grocery stores and restaurants, and taking in the sites.  I hope that after surgery I am up to some more site seeing.  I'm enjoying the city and the weather here is fabulous!

I'm wiped out and have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am.  Time to hang on for the ride!

Thanks to everyone for your continued support!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

It is what it is

Re: Tomorrow is the Big Day
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:30 pm »
Have a relaxing ride tomorrow Liz.  You are surrounded by ANers sending support your way and you have the best docs in the world. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:45:09 am »
Hey Liz, wow...nothing like some drama to keep your mind off your impending surgery, eh? :)  Good luck...just remember...you will be out and totally unaware of everything, but your partner won't be...so make sure she's got stuff to do!  They'll take her to the room where she'll wait until you get done.  Take care and see you in postie land! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:22:57 am »
Liz and Cat,

You have made all the right choices so far including getting the best docs just let go and let God do the rest! The road to recovery is already here for you all you have to do is relax and go into surgery. God is on your side. Remember, with HIM on your side what is a puny little AN?? Encourage Cat to draw comfort, (online) from the Caregivers forum. You are blessed to have each other.

Please know that that you are valuable members of the AN Community and that we are praying for you, in a few hours you will be on the other side of this adventure! Welcome to recovery!

Go easy on yourself for a while, Liz!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:38:59 am »
Wishing you the best, Liz!  We will be watching for updates that all went well!  Surely it will go smoother than your trip to get to St. Vincent's ;)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:06:50 am »
Liz
As I am typing you are getting ready for surgery or are just now in surgery. You are in great hands! Dr. Schwartz is wonderful. I don't know Dr. Slattery but am confident in all of the House surgeons. You are now becoming a postie  :)
Rest and take it easy. Will talk to you when you are ready.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:00 am »
Liz,

Wishing you the best in surgery and these next several days.  I can't wait to meet you and Cat next week!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:00 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Liz! I know you'll come through with flying colors. Looking forward to hearing from you as a postie! :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »
praying for you today LizAnn.  Hope all goes well for you.  Look forward to your post op posts.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

Brewers7

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »
praying dpwn south
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »
Liz .....

By now you are probably out of surgery and on the road to recovery.  I pray all went well and so anxious to hear updates on how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011