Author Topic: Out of the hospital - back at Seton!  (Read 6549 times)

LizAN

Out of the hospital - back at Seton!
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »
I'm not up to typing much yet, but I wanted to let you all know that surgery went well and I'm out of the hospital and staying at Seton for this next week. Didn't have much dizziness. Some nausea but no vomiting. Balance not too bad. Did have major problem with pain that morphine could not relieve. Dilaudid caused blood pressure drop. Fainted in PT yesterday, but they still let me out since I'm better today. Immediately post-surgery face function was perfect. Weakness set in quickly but will resolve in a few weeks. Already better. Very optimistic and totally happy with my decision to seek treatment at HEI. Nystagmus started right before surgery. Timing was perfect. Sorry for terse writing style. Lot to say and not much energy or ability to focus eyes for long. Thanks for all I've learned here and the wonderful support.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Out of the hospital - back at Seton!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:16 am »
So glad all went well and that you are on the road to recovery.  I have been following the Caring Bridge posts.  If you are up to it, give me a call before you leave LA.
Best,
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:03:58 am »
Hey Liz!! Congrats on being a postie!! Glad to hear everything went swimmingly! I know what you mean about not concentrating on much. It took me a couple of weeks to get into the groove of things.  Just keep listening to your body and rest when you can! Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:55 am »
Liz
Very happy to hear from you. I hope your pain is under control and you are doing great on your road to recovery. Likes others have said don't over do it and relax. There were times I think I was over doing it and I felt it. Keep us posted when you feel up to it and welcome back as a postie  ;D

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:26:21 am »
Glad things went well. Do what you feel like doing & most importantly, listen to your body & let it be your guide in this whole recovery process!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:31:13 am »
So glad to hear you're out of the hospital and recovering.  Sorry about the pain.  I am allergic to morphine and they really had to tweak my pain meds.  You are still in my prayers.  Take it a day at time and keep up your positive attitude.  Like others have said, Don't push yourself too hard.  Rest is good.  PT will help you to know how to balance between activity and rest.  Take care.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:45 am »
Oh Liz,it is wonderful to hear from you.  Congratulations!!!! You did it and just in time.  Please thank Cat for keeping all of us informed throughout.  It's a relief to hear how well you are doing even with the temporary glitches which didn't sound fun.  I hope you are able to rest and recuperate.  If you have any suggestions for those of us scheduled right behind you, please feel free to pass them on to us. 

With caring

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »
Liz

So happy to hear all is going well for you.  Amazed at how up you sound right after surgery.

Take care, get better.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:10:52 pm »
Liz ~

Welcome back - and thanks for the update!  I'm confident you'll enjoy a brisk and full recovery but take it easy and allow your body to heal itself.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brewers7

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »
So glad that thims ent well fr you!
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

lrobie

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:43 am »
Hi Liz,

It's great to see you posting your own message.  I've been following your journal and Cat has done a wonderful job keeping us updated.  I'm on my way to L.A.  Get lots of rest.  I can't wait to meet you on Wednesday morning.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

It is what it is

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:59 am »
Hi Liz and Lisa.  Safe travels Lisa. 
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:10:32 am »
So happy everything is going well and your already writing .... another success story from a HEI patient ... Prayers for an even speedier recovery.....

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
Great to hear from you, Liz!  Glad you are done and starting your recovery!

So good that you and Lisa are going to get to meet!  I was able to meet several ANers while I was out there for my surgery - nothing like it!

Take it easy,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »
so glad to hear you are doing well ... and as  Jim said take it easy ...this from one
who didn't at first and paid for it
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery