Author Topic: Should I cancel my MRI appt??? MRI Done with Results...  (Read 9543 times)

Jwh

Should I cancel my MRI appt??? MRI Done with Results...
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
Hello!

3rd year post op MRI coming up this Thursday at NYU.  Ughh hate the anxiety that comes with these appointments.  Have had 2 AN's removed been dealing with this since 28 years old and  now 39.....  First surgery a small cell left behind hence the regrowth.  I should just follow through with the appt, right? Why put off the inevitable....?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:51:48 pm by Jwh »
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

BeckyMax

Re: Should I cancel my MRI appt???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »
Yes, go and get it over with, you'll feel better once you've went.

I have my 2nd MRI next Monday, I can't wait!!!  This first 6 months have been hard.  I don't even care what the results are at this point, i just want to get the thing over with.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »
Jen ~

Your pre-MRI anxiety is perfectly normal but putting off the scheduled MRI serves little purpose.  If there is any growth you and your doctor need to know this so it can be monitored and possibly addressed.  If the MRI shows nothing, as it probably will, you'll have peace of mind, which is priceless.   I suggest that you have the MRI scan, as scheduled, and refuse to allow your fears to control you. 

Of course, your AN forum friends will look forward to learning the results - so please don't keep us in suspense.  :)  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:32:29 pm »
Thanks Jim....I know I would be kicking myself if I cancel it.....I know to put my big girl pants on and get it over with.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:50 am »
Jen,

I am sure that you are scared, I have never been through an MRI test( I can't take them for I have 70 metal clips in my brain) instead I do CT scans with contrast. I have heard that it is noisy, check with your Docs first but a pair of earplugs couldn't hurt!

As for the cramped feeling an open MRI or a standing MRI should work. Good luck, it is much better to know what your next step in treatment should be.

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:53 pm »
hi mike,
i'm not afraid of the actual mri...i'm afraid of the results ) :
Thx,
jen

millie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »
Hey Jen- I hear your reticence and I totally understand.    I just had my second MRI a week ago Monday.  It's only five months since my first one, but I  was feeling  my symptoms had increased.  I was putting my head in the sand like an ostrich for a bit, then realized only I  myself can monitor my head and body.  I made phone calls  got the scripts and had the MRI and I scheduled appts. starting next week  with doctors previously seen in March at  at Langone (NYU) and  Mt. Sinai  in NYC and another  very respected doctor at Columbia Presybyterian whom I discovered on this forum. 
I am worried but as Jim says maybe the news will be good.  Then  maybe you can rest easier for six months.
I have been really weary of doctors lately due to my poor husband's sudden open heart surgery May 3 .  Today we drove 40 miles  to have fluid drained from around his lung then we were told he must first stop the coumaden- so back to that doctor omorrow and Thurs)   We would rather go to Disney with some grandkids! 
However right now doctors seem to take up a lot of our time but I guess we have to do what we have to do.  We sure will be a lot stronger after these experiences. 
Have a good night.  You are not alone.
Millie

Jwh

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:07 am »
Thank you Millie....I hope your husband feels better shortly and you can go on your trips!  This health thing gets in the way...don't you think ( :  I hope everything goes well with you too.  I have 3 more hours to cancel....staying strong.  Tomorrow is the big day.

millie

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 06:59:52 am »
Hi Jen-
I just heard from my ENT Dr. Smouha (Mt. Sinai).  I was cutting my flowers thinking about my husband's tests today and the phone rang.  It wasn't for him, but for me!  Doctor said I was not to be alarmed, it has grown.2 mm and it is time to talk about the possibilities.  He reaffirmed this is not an emergency but he wants me to bring in the CD itself (I guess he has a written copy of the report?) and see where it has grown, I guess.  I believe before it was 1.2 cm.  Now it is 1.4.  He says it is still small and not to be alarmed.  He also said every case is unique.  So I have an appt. to see him Aug. 14. 
I did tell him I felt the lightheadedness and the off balance feeling and of course no more useful hearing in my left ear.  He said then the hearing won't be an issue.  Whatever that means.
He sounded more interested than in my last visit, but he also sounded very reassuring.
What I am trying to say is I feel pretty good about this-even less anxious. 
We can do this, Jen!
Good luck and I'll be looking for your post.
Millie

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:00 am »
Hey Jen- I hear your reticence and I totally understand.    I just had my second MRI a week ago Monday.  It's only five months since my first one, but I  was feeling  my symptoms had increased.  I was putting my head in the sand like an ostrich for a bit, then realized only I  myself can monitor my head and body.  I made phone calls  got the scripts and had the MRI and I scheduled appts. starting next week  with doctors previously seen in March at  at Langone (NYU) and  Mt. Sinai  in NYC and another  very respected doctor at Columbia Presybyterian whom I discovered on this forum. 
I am worried but as Jim says maybe the news will be good.  Then  maybe you can rest easier for six months.
I have been really weary of doctors lately due to my poor husband's sudden open heart surgery May 3 .  Today we drove 40 miles  to have fluid drained from around his lung then we were told he must first stop the coumaden- so back to that doctor omorrow and Thurs)   We would rather go to Disney with some grandkids! 
However right now doctors seem to take up a lot of our time but I guess we have to do what we have to do.  We sure will be a lot stronger after these experiences. 
Have a good night.  You are not alone.
Millie

Millie I am also from the NY area and have some names with doctors in NY if you want to PM with their names...My cousin had the same problem and was bleeding profusely from the drainage for the lungs while on coumadin the lung doctor would not suture the incision and for a month she had problems finally took her off the coumadin so it can heal but not until she had to have numerous pints of blood??... Hope your husband is doing better.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jwh

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:58 am »
Millie...I'm glad you feel better knowing!  I've started having hives now.  I thought I was doing ok but I guess it comes out in other ways.  Didn't cancel so tomorrow it will be.

It is what it is

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:52:39 am »
My thoughts are with you. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jwh

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »
Thanks Karen!

Jwh

Re: Should I cancel my MRI appt??? MRI Done with Results...
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:55:45 pm »
Just got back from NYU...I got the all CLEAR!!  I'm so happy I didn't cancel. Thank you for helping me through another year.  It's been a long day...Left at 9 am for 12:30 pm MRI.  Had appt. with my doctor for 2:45 but didn't get to see him until 4:00.  I waited for two hours in his office.  That was the hardest part...waiting and wondering.  I thought I was going to crawl out of my own skin!  All worth it though  :D

It is what it is

Re: Should I cancel my MRI appt??? MRI Done with Results...
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:42 pm »
Hurray!!!!!!!!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.