Author Topic: Feeling sick at work  (Read 9559 times)

BlueSky

Feeling sick at work
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
My work environment is one without windows, florescent lighting and computer screens. Last week I was out on vacation and couldn't believe how good I felt, being outdoors and active. When I returned to work today I felt off, not just from returning from vacation time but physically kinda sick and off balance. I'm wondering if the lighting/computers in the office environment exacerbates the AN issues with balance.

Upstate

Re: Feeling sick at work
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:28 pm »
BlueSky, I know for me anyway, my environment dictates how I feel.  Grocery stores are the worst.  No windows, lots of florescent lighting, noise, movement etc.  I walk out of there feeling sick, off balance and exhausted.  I believe it has to do with my AN. I am grateful my work environment is generally quiet. I wish you well.

Upstate

MaryEBS

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:01:02 pm »
Hi Bluesky -

I have a similar experience.  I work in a large company but my office/cubicle is in the back in front of a window and it is a decent size... maybe 10 feet wide and far enough in front of the window to roll back to the windows... The sun I get sitting in this space and the fact that I am not out in the middle of all the confusion really helps me feel better.  When I walk down to the cafeteria which is a huge open space with very bad accoustics I don't feel so good... I feel the fullness in my ear and the sounds seem to ecco in my ear with the tinnitis... I can't get out of there fast enough.  I know that the environment makes a big difference in the way I feel.  Best of luck to you.

Mary

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:36:16 am »
I've often wondered the same.  I have to take more meds to help with my wonkyhead at work (which is similar to yours).  I felt fine all weekend, then this morning it starts up.   I'm sure this is not just a coincidence.  Can't wait until retirement!
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:51 pm »
Upstate mentioned grocery stores.

Before my surgeries, I remember the sensorial distress I would experience every time I set foot in a building with wide-open space in it—my hearing and vision were skewed or altered. I used to complain about it all the time. It was the worst a few weeks before my first surgery (for the shunt). I remember walking through a Walmart with my head feeling like a helium-filled, lead balloon, trailing above and behind me. I remember thinking that I couldn't go on and that if I didn't receive treatment I was done for.

Since my treatment about six years ago that feeling I used to get in enclosed, wide-open spaces is gone and has never returned, even though my left-side hearing has been lost.

That's an unusual detail about AN tumors. I've found that, in terms of sensorial distess, we seem to fare better with no hearing in one ear than with impaired or distorted hearing in one ear.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:28:00 pm »
That is totally understandable about being under the work lights and feeling sick. Most people don't realize that florescent lights are basically strobe lights, operating at a 60hz frequency. It's so fast it appears as a continuous light, but I am sure the brain probably can detect it to some extent.  I don't know if your work lets you out for breaks, but even just walking outside and around for a few minutes probably can help you a lot! 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:46 pm »
Any chance your work will accommodate your needs if it turns out the work environment is the cause of worsening of your symptoms?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:38:14 pm »
Blue Sky,

Yes  an enclosed room with those lights and being on the computer can definitely make you feel off balance and sick.  Jay is right about them being like strobe lights.  My neurologist said just being on the computer for a long period of time can make you dizzy and puts strain on the eyes and brain.  I've actually had to cut down on my work hours because if it.  Getting out and walking around helps.  If you can take a break and go outside and get done fresh air, it helps immensely .  I sure hope things get better for you and that your work understands.   
Take care,
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

Lou

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 01:58:39 pm »
I think we can all relate to that issue. I always feel tired at work with a wonky head...... I have to come home every night and take a nap. I am in hopes of cutting down my hours.
Hope things get better soon.
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

sunfish

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:37:54 am »
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet or not - at the computer, you may be either sporadically or constantly turning your head slightly to look at paperwork, and then back up at the computer screen.  My worst direction is looking down and to the left, and then back up and to the right.  This actually still gives me a quick second of vertigo sometimes.  At one point, I did try to redesign my work area so that I minimized this problem.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

BlueSky

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:52 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm going to try to keep my hours as they are for now because I am seriously considering moving towards surgery at this point so when that happens I'll have to go on leave anyways. I think my symptoms are pretty manageable right now, they are mostly annoying and a reminder that I am going to have to deal with this whether I want to or not. I do try to go outside for breaks as much as I can it really does help.

MaryEBS

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »
Hello Bluesky -

One more thing you might consider while you are working and waiting is to break up your lunch time into smaller breaks so you can get outside more often... it might help you manage the symptoms.

Best of luck to you -

Mary

kaykay

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
i work in an office too and have issues with the lighting..and the carpet! omg...they have the craziest carpet pattern...so picture this large building..i think its alittle bigger then a football field....im at one end..and the bathrooms are in the middle.........i have to walk down this long walk-way full of crazy pattern carpet and flourescent lighting. somedays i just cant do it. luckily the exit doors are right infront of my cubicle so on my bad days i just stumble right out the door. lol
i got a docs note to have my seat moved to a window....it helps. doesnt help that i have 2 computer monitors...and lighting above me.
i brought in 2 extra regular lights... i think they help...