Author Topic: I'm Back - post-op at House  (Read 4221 times)

lrobie

I'm Back - post-op at House
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
Hi all,

I know I didn't post a lot prior to surgery, but was trying to keep it in one place.  My husband and son kept me busy in Los Angeles right up to going to bed at 11 pm the night prior to surgery.  I feel I am doing pretty well considering what you go thru.  I was released from St. Vincent yesterday.  We are staying at a Residence Inn in Burbank.  It is a hop, skip and jump away from the hospital.  I couldn't get to my local hospital in Pennsylvania any sooner.

Things went well for surgery.  I'm told they got the entire tumor.  After affects include extreme balance difficulties and dizziness, left jaw pain (can't open my mouth real big), constant headaches relieved with pain meds, tingling on left side of face. I am also still nauseous now and then. My head pretty much feels like it is bobbling when I'm sitting still.  I've been wearing a bandana as my hair is a little longer and is a mess.  I can't get a comb thru it and I'm told I can't wash my hair until after my post-op visit with docs. 

I'm trying to take things slow, but my husband likes to be on the move.  He wants me to go for the hotel's nightly refreshments right now.  At least I'm getting my walking in.

I'm signing off for now, but will post more when my eyes can handle it.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  I have a picture of me and the Magic Scarf that I will post soon. 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I'm Back - post-op at House
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »
Lisa .....

Wonderful to hear directly from you. Prayers continuing for a quick recovery. Rest well between walks.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:50:04 am »
Lisa
Doesn't being a postie feel great. I'm glad your doing well. I was anxiously awaiting for your post. You made a great choice in doctors and now you just need to walk rest walk rest.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

New girl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »
Hi Lisa - Great to hear all went well!  Now you can just focus on healing.  Best wishes.  ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

schmidtkat

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »
Hi Lisa,

So pleased to read of your successful proceedure @ the HEI. They are a fabulous team. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy healing process.

Kathy

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:49 am »
Hello Lisa,

So good to hear about your surgery being a success. And I am happy you had the magic scarf with you down there. It sounds as though everything is going as well as can be expected.  I too had a sore jaw after my surgery, which eventually improved. I'm sure you'll be bouncing back soon.

Well, you take care.

Davecz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

millie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:30 am »
It is wonderful to hear they got the whole thing.
Praying for you.
Millie

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:16 am »
Hi Lisa, welcome to postie land!!! You'll find it will take a bit for the jaw to go back to normal.  It was one of those things where all of a sudden one day I noticed it was opening almost normal...not sure when it got better.  Just keep resting and listen to your body, don't overdo it!  Take care and keep us updated! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

miller

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
 Lisa,
I am glad to hear that you are doing well.  I didn't get to see you while I was out there ran into several others from the forum.  Tomorrow is 2 weeks post op for me and I am back home in VA.   It feels great to be home!!

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
Hi Lisa,

It is wonderful to hear your update and I appreciated being able to follow your progress on Caring Bridge.  Please thank your husband for sharing information when you couldn't.  Well, YOU DID IT!!!!!!!  Hurray!!!!!!  I hope you are able to get lots of restorative rest as you continue to heal. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »
Lisa,
So happy your surgery was a success.  Now you can focus on recovering.  It's a good feeling having it behind you huh!  What you are describing is normal for middle fossa.  In time, your jaw comes around like Jay said.  Be sure to get lots of rest and walk when you feel dizzy, it helps.  I remember my husband and I joking about getting a bobble head made of myself, because that's what my headfelt like.  It does get better.  :)
Praying for you,
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”