Author Topic: Getting fillings with AN?  (Read 5692 times)

BlueSky

Getting fillings with AN?
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »
Hi all,
So my dentist says i need 4 fillings. Boo! I'm wondering if any of you had novacane shots with your AN? I'm wondering if I got a novacane shot on that side of my face it would make the AN upset? I guess I don't really know how the nerve system works in the face and if I have anything to worry about.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Getting fillings with AN?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:30:44 pm »
Dear Bluesky,

I don't know about novacaine and AN's reaction to it. However, I must warn you not to get a dental x-ray(s) as there is a great deal of research out there that says they may stimulate your AN. I have made my dentist aware of this and he will not give me another. At the time in 2009, I did not know this, I had all 8 of my silver amalgam fillings replaced and was subjected to at least 4 dental xrays. My tumor grew during the period after this. At least that's what my neurosurgeon says.

Mike

PS. Chime in somebody!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:00:30 pm by MDemisay »
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »
I had novocaine this past Monday because I cracked a tooth on the bottom right. I had surgery Oct 6, 2011 and have been numb in and around the right side of my mouth including my tongue since.
I had no reaction to the novocaine at all, I felt no increased numbness. I felt nothing when the novocaine would have been wearing off either.
The question you asked about " upsetting the AN " is something you should direct to your doctor's office. You provide no information in your post regarding your status - W&W, pre-surgery, post-surgery, radiosurgery - and those facts would possibly pertain to whether dental or other medical treatments are advisable and when to have them. In my case, I was advised by my doctor's office to have no invasive treatments including dental prior to my surgery which was 6 weeks away. Always direct questions to your doctor is the best advice.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

BlueSky

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »
Mike, yes I know not to have x-rays and already told them I couldn't do that.

LakeErie I am watch and wait with a 6mm AN. Right now the only symptoms I have are getting dizzy easier than usual and some mild vertigo when I lay down. I had some hearing loss but it cleared up with a round of steroids.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
I had a tooth pulled 3 weeks prior to my last surgery with no change in anything and no issues with the novacaine.            Had been told to have it done by my surgeon also as I was a little nervous about it with surgery being so close.     It was on other side of head than that AN so may or may not have made a difference.                I am a big dental phobic and worse off for being as such than if had good dental care.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:23:01 am »
I haven't ever had issue's with having dental work done, believe me I had plenty of Novacane shots in my life (both before and after I knew about the AN) without any issues. I myself have never heard of dental x-rays causing increased growth but hey if that's what you have read then don't have em
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:44 am »
I would make sure your dentist is aware you have an AN and see if he thinks novocaine is a problem; he's the medical professional - the majority of us here aren't.

Like Kathleen, I've never heard of dental x-rays causing increased growth of an AN.  Mike, where did you hear this?  Did your neurosurgeon actually say that dental x-rays caused your growth?

My AN almost doubled in the 6 weeks between my diagnosis and surgery, but neither my neurotologist nor my neurosurgeon had an explanation as to why.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:55 am »
To All:

Both Dr. Michael Sisti (NY Presbyterian) and Dr. Douglas Kondzuilka (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) concurred when I asked them about the negative effects that Dental X-Rays have on the growth of AN's. They both are neurosurgeons with advanced training on the Gamma Knife Procedure. The initial information I got right here off a thread about it. I personally, was glad I asked. Had I not been involved with the ANA forum, I probably wouldn't have asked! Thanks again forum members!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »
I've had a filling replaced since my AN surgery and the Novocaine wasn't an issue. 

I'm unaware of any scientific, peer-reviewed studies linking dental X-rays and acoustic neuroma growth.  Of course, I'm not a doctor or scientist and might well be mistaken.  However, Dr. Clinton Medbury, who used to be part of the Cyberknife patient forum website, once responded to a question about dental X-rays and AN growth this way: "no problem at all". http://www.cyberknife.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=2376#jumptobottom  Perhaps Dr. Medbury was mistaken or the science has changed since he wrote that reply back in 2009.  The fact that GK/CK/FSR directs radiation to the AN with the purpose of destroying it's DNA makes me wonder why a dental X-ray would cause it to grow.  Again, I'm just a patient and certainly won't attempt to dispute two physicians trained in radiation techniques.

For those of us with tumors that have been surgically removed and/or radiated (or debulked, then radiated, in my case) this may not be an issue to get too concerned about.  I have dental X-rays scheduled for my next check-up in October and I'll mention this to my dentist, who is very knowledgeable and aware of my AN history.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MaryCPereira

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:40 am »
I just met with my Dr. last week and asked him about the x-ray issue. He said that there have been some studies that show growth, and others that show no changes. He said, if I need it for a dental issue, to go ahead.. but that I don't want to subject myself to an excess radiation if possible. For instance, he said if I have a choice between a CT scan and an MRI to take the MRI.

I also discussed it with my dentist, who said they have new state of the art xrays that are digital and use VERY small amounts of radiation..

LizAN

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:21 pm »
On this issue, I can only speak from personal experience.  If there are studies, I would love to read them.  I did read one study that compared bite-wing x-rays to panoramic, relative to brain tumors (don't remember what kind) but the results didn't make sense to me.

My experience is that my tumor was stable, and then, after having dental x-rays, it was 50% larger on the next MRI.  This could very well be coincidence, but it has happened to others on the list.  I read an article that said that, while average growth is 1 to 2 mm per year, for a given tumor, that may actually translate into no growth some years and 2 to 4 mm in other years.  My tumor went from 8mm to 12+ in 14 months, after not growing at all for the first 6 months.

I think the jury is still out on this issue.  I probably won't have dental x-rays again unless my dentist can make a very good case for it.  Never mind that I've had two CT scans since my surgery on July 3rd.  There were very good reasons for those and I hope I don't ever need another one.

Life seems to be all about taking calculated risks...

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:30:09 am »
Just needing to add my two cents worth in here .....

If you do a search on ionizing radiation acoustic neuroma you will find numerous articles about the connection.  Now, keep in mind at this point (in 2012) the only known connection to the formation of acoustic neuromas is huge doses of ionizing radiation.  Keep in mind also, the radiation we receive from dental x-rays is very, very miniscule.  According to several presenters at the last ANA Symposium, it is also the total accumulation of radiation exposure over about a 20 year period that also needs to be considered (apparently the half life for radiation staying in our bodies is around 20 years ..... to the best of current research's knowledge).  Therefore, if someone (like me) had huge doses of radiation for other medical reasons, it would be prudent to forego any additional x-ray exposure unless deemed medically necessary.

I routinely refuse CT scans and dental x-rays now until the doctor/dentist convinces me it is medically necessary.

I am not a doctor, but if a normal, healthy person needs dental x-rays to determine needed treatment for say, an abscessed tooth or large cavity, from my research it seems like it should be no problem.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011