Author Topic: GK tomorrow  (Read 3116 times)

jfspainter

GK tomorrow
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:39:18 am »
Tomorrow is the big day for GK for my 2.3 cm AN. Thanks to all the reading on this sight I am not the least bit nervous about the procedure. I am 66 and have a left side AN with tinnitus, facial and tongue numbness, hearing loss and balance issues. I have been hard of hearing since I was 5 due to having the mumps. I am hoping this procedure will help to save some of my hearing. My hearing in the left ear was the better ear and now not so. I wear two hearing aids. They help to diminish the tinnitus. I am concerned about the post GK.
I am a nationally ranked croquet player (don't laugh). I have to compete against men to earn my low ranking. My biggest fear is I will have put this sport on the back burner due to balance issues.
Reading to nail it tomorrow!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: GK tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:55 am »
Good luck tomorrow!

Let us know how it all goes,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
Welcome jfspainter,

Welcome to the forum, let us know how it goes! A peaceful journey to wellness! You'll be amazed! Personally, no one told me that the machine was silent. It will be over before you know it!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

JWW

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:00:59 pm »
jf,

I had my SRS aka GK procedure yesterday and it was soooo non eventful! I had the option of the mask, which I chose. I did not have to fast. I did not need to be medicated. I am taking the Medrol Dosepack which I started with lunch after the procedure (btw:had a nice Mexican food lunch).
To avoid insomnia with the steroids, I was instructed to take all the pills for the first day ALL at one time with food. Divide the following steroid pills per day into morning and noon with food, thus you will sleep better.

I feel great as if this NEVER happened!!! Make the right decision for yourself and go for it!

JW

jfspainter

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:48:33 pm »
Well I am home. Dr Michael Brisman & team with Winthrop Hosp here on LI NY were wonderful. There were no surprises and also in conjunction with this ANA site helped my decision for Gamma Knife. Went in confident and never looked back. Now we wait for necrosis . Good riddance I say. I do have a very "numbskull" which will subside in the days to come. ::) hopefully my other symptoms will fade. So far I have my hearing and x my fingers it will hold.

Off to Maine with my hubbie Sunday!
Thank you well wishers, Jane
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:43:05 pm by jfspainter »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:09 pm »
Jane ~

Congratulations!

Dr. Johnathan Haas was my radiation oncologist when I underwent FSR back in 2006 (he was working at The Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, CT at the time).   An outstanding physician that was attentive to my concerns and (with my neurosurgeon) 'mapped' my 26 FSR treatments that were successful, with no problems.  I trust you'll have a similarly successful GK experience.  Meanwhile, enjoy your vacation in Maine!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.