Author Topic: When can I blow my nose?  (Read 4453 times)

lrobie

When can I blow my nose?
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:48:36 am »
I've searched through all my discharge paperwork and can't find a specific time period for not blowing my nose.  Thus, I don't know if I'm supposed to wait two weeks, a month, or what.  I really feel like I could use a good nose blowing.   :)  I have sneezed a few times since surgery and was able to open my mouth and let it out.  The first time, my son jumped and then looked at me like he was waiting for my brain to pop out.

Thanks for any input.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: When can I blow my nose?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »
I cannot remember what I was told either, except not to do it ( ::)) ..... it seems like Dr. Stefan said for a month post-op.  My personal advice would be to wait at least that long before doing a good old blow ..... gentle ones might be OK at a month.  Email or call Dr. Friedman or his office staff to be sure, though.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »
I think my doc's "rule" was 6 weeks, but docs have different "rules".

Best to check with yours.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:32:04 am »
Thanks ladies!  I guess it's better to hold off than to risk any complications.  I will check with the doc.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

susierg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29:40 pm »
I wasn't told anything about blowing my nose beeing taboo!  I know I was a little afraid, but  I have been gently blowing my nose ever since surgery.  How bad is it?  Can it cause problems?  I had been told to be optimistic about my hearing returning, and it ha not, almost 3 weeks post surgery.  Could blowing my nose have caused a problem with that?  OH K......not trying to sound like I'm freakin out, but have been having some anxiety the last couple of days, especially as my balance and hearing have not returned....Yikes!
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »
I am not a doctor, but the explanation given to me was to basically not to do anything that could/might increase pressure in the brain ...... like bending over, jumping, holding breath, blowing nose, etc.  Always a concern about CSF leaks, but if you have no fluid coming from your nose, down your throat, or incision site, that is unlikely.

It does not seem likely that gentle blowing of your nose would have a direct connection with your hearing not returning, nor your unsteadiness at three weeks out.  It never hurts to call your doctor about any concerns post-op ..... which is what I would do, if I were you.  That's part of what they make the big bucks for ..... no need for you to have anxiety, when they can reassure you or have you come in to the office to check you.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »
My doc's post op "rules" included no nose blowing and sneezing only with an open mouth.

As Clarice said, the whole idea is to not cause pressure in the brain.

Not to be gross here, but usually straining during a bowel movement is unacceptable post op, too - which is why most docs say to follow a high-fiber diet or take stool softeners.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Desilu

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
Hi Lisa,

A little late seeing this tread but "House"doctors are very accessable, giving them a call is normally not a problem. Back in the day when I had my surgery, they would normally return my call within the hour. I hope it all works out for you. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger