Author Topic: Repeat GK?  (Read 1590 times)

Melissa778

Repeat GK?
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
It's been about 2 years since I was last on the sight.  I had Translab surgery to remove a 1.6 x 1.6 AN in 2008.  They were unable to remove it completely due to a large portion being attached to my facial nerve.  I had GK at the end of 2008 and everything appeared to be going very well.  I got my BAHA in 2010, which I never wear....I just can't get used to it and I hear pretty well from one ear for now ;)

My 2010 & 2011 MRI's showed no new growth, everything holding steady.....
Over the last year I've had some facial neuralgia here and there (very painful!) and headaches almost daily, along with some balance issues from time to time which I just attributed to my own clumsiness.

I recently had my 2012 MRI and there is new growth.....in one year my tumor grew .6 X .4 cm  I'm a bit concerned and angry to even have to potentially go down this road again.  I'm currently measuring 1.7 x .7 cm.

My question is, has anyone else had this happen?  Or had GK more than once?  I'm thankful that I have only had mild symptoms after surgery and no facial issues.  Other than the SSD and recurrent sinus infections issues, I have been very lucky.   

Looking for feedback from anyone having GK more than once or anyone with remaining tumor attached to inoperable areas.  The bulk of what remains for me is attached to my facial nerve.

Thanks!!
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

JWW

Re: Repeat GK?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:45 pm »
Melissa,
I am 2 weeks post (SRS) Stereotactic Radiosurgery (but frameless)which is similar to GK. When I finished my one time zap (getting off the treatment table), I ask the two radiation therapist, "What would they do if my tumor started to grow again and I needed SRS (or GK) again?" The answer:" they would use LESS radiation with a new plan/mapping from the radiation oncologist and physicist."
That works for me!!!  ;)

It is my understanding, CK, GK and SRS are ALL different....SRS being:Linear accelerator based therapies/ megavoltage X-rays such as The Novalis:
Modern LINACs optimized for radiosurgery applications include the Trilogy machine from Varian Medical Systems, and the Novalis Tx radiosurgery platform, produced by Varian and BrainLAB. Both of these are frameless sterotactic systems which sense patient position.
KEYWORD: FRAMLESS

JW

btw: Still feel great! Hearing excellent!