Author Topic: Little Grumble  (Read 3468 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Little Grumble
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
 will start of on a good note ...

band and football have taken over my life ... both girls are marching with high school band  even though Sarah is still in 8th grade … they are practicing from 6-8 Tuesday and Thursday in addition to band at school .. They play at varsity games on Friday nights … I work every other home game in concessions and chaperone in stands for the other home games with medical bag strapped on full of inhalers , epi-pens and general things like Tylenol and Band-Aids …concession stand is fast paced and wearing on my footsies … chaperoning is easy until they file down and march on field and I walk the side line and watch for wheezers and one girl that is autistic and does good most of the time but sometimes she needs to sit by herself and cry and we have signals to watch for to keep her on track and safe …

And since I am in town waiting for practice to end , I work concessions on Thursday nights  for junior varsity and junior high games every other week … I figure might as well do that rather than sit reading … it wears me out but kinda a good tired like I have been useful for something

Now for my grumble

we are getting a new Dollar General Store and I put in application … got an interview but one of the interviewing managers from existing store who knows me and my Bennie history , shot me down as a fall hazard ... I have fallen 4 or 5 times in 4 years due to Bennie residual effects (wonky headedness)... they are hiring 3 managers as full time which I wouldn't even test for ...too much crap goes with it  ...and 20 some odd all part time ...32 hours or less for day workers and evening workers would get 15-20 hours ... I think I could handle it ...won't know though with out a chance to prove myself  … if I can handle the concession stand for 3-4 hours I could handle stocking shelves and running a register several evenings every week … and Bo could take over shuffling kids to practice ...

this is second time in a month I have been shot down due to medical ... sewing plant will take me but asthma and the fuzzy air don't mix ... work in jean plant yeas ago even with a mask it made me wheezy ... 

I need money $$$$ ...since no one will hire me due to health issues and I am not disabled enough to get disability , I'm gonna get me a tin cup , raggedy clothes and dark glasses and sit on a corner begging ...

what should I write on my sign ????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Little Grumble
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »
Soundy ~

Your dedication to your girls and desire to be productive in some way is admirable.  The fact that your medical issues are preventing you from obtaining even part-time employment is troubling.  I'm sure the rationale for the prospective employers is based on liability issues and/or the possibility that, according to ADA guidelines they might have make 'special accommodations' for you and see it as not worth the hassle, even though I'm sure you would be a hard worker and an asset to any business that employed you. My best advice is to keep trying, which is really your only option.  However, if you do have resort to the tin cup, your sign should read: 'I NEED HOPE - AND LOTS OF CHANGE' ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:45:29 pm »
I like that sign idea ...

this is going to be the 5th Dollar General in the county ... they are putting all over becasue almost everyone has to go at least 15 miles to get to town if they don't live in town ...

still going no where finding paying work …they have handicap/ handi-capable people at other stores…I understand their liability concerns  , but  since they have a woman with a walker working at one store and a boy with cerebral palsy at another that kinda doesn't hold water ... I know they have a quota of handicapped people they have to hire ... Maybe they are full …who knows

I don’t feel disabled or handicapped so much as just rejected

We are getting at a point where we need to do something to relieve financial strain … other than Pfizer plan that pays for Lyrica I get no other assistance …
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
Soundy, I apologize but I can't remember if you have ever applied for SSI disability? Also is there an ACLU lawyer anywhere near that you could talk to - they could send a letter to someone at Dollar General over the head of the local manager.

If you do have to resort to the sign and cup thing, be sure to station yourself in the Dollar General parking lot.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »
When I first knew I couldn't go back to being a lunch lady I applied and was turned down twice. We were not struggling as much then so just dropped it. Found a factory job that would be 8 hours , 6 days a week , on concrete standing. I can't go that long without walking around. Need to go on and get on and work til I drop. Noise would also be an issue.

There is a good lawyer the next county over. She is so booked up that she can't see me til October. She is my next stop

We would be Ok if we did't have to supliment Bo's parents. She is 3 years from being able to collect SS . She is also without health insurance.

Gonna just ride things out for now and pray alot.
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:24:12 pm »
rejected again...reconfigured things so that we have a piece of land backing what used to be house payment and house is 100% paid off... will never use it for collateral again... if worse comes to worse I will quit paying the payment and we will lose 10 acres but have $500 more a month... and it did lower payment about $200 ...
Translab July 2 ,2007