Author Topic: still have facialo numbness  (Read 3906 times)

pattibobatti

still have facialo numbness
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:48:37 pm »
He everyone,

I have facial paralysis with no real hope of that getting better but I also have facial numbness. It is better 7 months later, but I still have it..

Does it ever go away?

I stopped asking the Docs these kinds of questions....

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Jeanlea

Re: still have facialo numbness
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:49:43 pm »
I still have facial paralysis and numbness after nearly a year.  I can't really notice any improvement in the numbness.  It did work to my advantage the other day while camping though.  I walked into the corner of a low roof on a camping shelter on my bad side.  I did notice I hit something, but it didn't really hurt.   ;D

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:15:32 pm »
I'm a week from my year mark and still have facial numbness :o(  I've been told it should go away from the surgeon but told it shouldn't from the ent so who knows ???  I'm not expecting it to at this point, but it sure would be nice!

pattibobatti

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 07:25:03 pm »
Hi Battypriincess,

It's good to hear from you!  My numbness seems to be getting better.  Is yours the same?

I know we are all so different but just wanted to know how others are doing.....

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:06:28 pm »
Patti it's a question I've been asking for months as I keep thinking if the left sided numbness goes away I'd feel almost human again.  So far nothing.  I notice when I'm tired it gets worse. The surgeon told me it could take up to 18 months to really know for sure.  I'm a week from a year and feel it's pretty permanent at this point  :'(

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:09:36 pm »
Patti I'm 2 years and almost 3 months post op and I still have the numbness. I've noticed the most improvement in the last 8 months or so. The facial therapist I'm seeing said that sensation can take 5 years to return. He recommended facial massage, facial tapping(using fingertips to tap the face) and using a massager. I just started with these and have noticed a difference.

Also when I chew gum on the an side, a very difficult task, my nerves all seem to react at once and I have lots of tingling. I figure that is a good sign.  Chewing gum for 5 mins a day on the an side is one of my exercises too.

keep the faith........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

keys220

Re: still have facial numbness
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 10:16:03 pm »
Hi,

I had partial face and ear lobe numbness from AN surgery at the end of '98. It took about 7 years until the ear numbness faded and, except for the occasional facial muscle weakening, the facial numbness is 98% gone. But, this took lots of years. Guess I got lucky. Let's hope you do, too.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 02:17:12 am »
Keys hearing someone had theirs goes away even taking so long gives the rest of us hope ours will too!  Thanks for sharing  :-*

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:52:34 am »
I would say that the numbness is no longer an easily noticable feeling, when I touch my cheek I notice that it has a lack of sensation but other than that I don't really think about it/it isn't notiable.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)