Author Topic: 6 weeks post op  (Read 2778 times)

susierg

6 weeks post op
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »
Well.....yesterday was 6 weeks since my mid fossa sugery to remove 7x4x4 AN in my right ear.  My balance is improving slowly and I've been given another two weeks before I have to return to work, so I am thankful for that as I just don't think I'm ready yet.  Today I had an appointment with my ENT as well as the audiologist.  During my surgery the monitor went down for a short time, but came back up before surgery was over.  Initially after sugery I could not hear, but they had given me hope that my hearing would return in time.  Today, they tell me that I have no useful hearing in my AN ear and its doubtful that it will return.  Not the news I was hoping for, but the tumor is gone and the hearing in my left ear is excellent, so I'm not goin to complain.  My Doc talked with me about possibly going with a hearing aid and explained my different options.  The BAHA sounds like the best bet.....but I'm really not wanting to have another surgery.  I'm thinking about going with the TransEar.  Anyone have any thoughts or opinions that might help me with my decision?
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 6 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:19 am »
Hi Susie .....

I know you are terribly disappointed that your hearing is probably not going to improve to a useful level.  You are right to explore all of the options before making your decision.  One thing to consider is that as of right now, the bone-anchored devices are considered prosthetics and therefore coverable on most insurance plans.  To my knowledge, very few insurance companies will cover any of the cost of other devices coded as hearing aids.

The abutment implant is a relatively minor surgical procedure ..... nothing at all like AN removal surgeries.  Most people have very few issues with it and it is often done as an outpatient procedure ..... sometimes even with a local anesthetic.

Obviously this is a very personal decision so you are going about gathering information now, which is the best way to know you have chosen wisely.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:42:40 pm »
Thanks for your update.  Where was your surgery?  I had surgery 8/1 and it is great to hear from others who had surgery around the same time.  My thoughts are with you as you explore hearing device options.  Take good care. 

Clarice you are so helpful to those of us with recent surgeries. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »
Karen I second that. Clarice, Jim, Jan, and many many others
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

susierg

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
Karen, My surgery was done at MD Anderson in Houston.  Great place and great Docs.  Still not giving up on a miracle.  My Aunt has a friend who had AN surgery, lost her hearing and one year later it came back.  Gonna wait until I return to work and see how my loss of hearing affects me before deciding on a hearing aid.  I have an appt in November for MRI, so will hopefully have made up my mind by then so I can discuss with my Docs.  Were you able to save your hearing? and how is your balance?
Mine has suddenly begun to improve.  Still have some wobbly days, but for the most part, I'm becoming able to go places without ppl looking at me like I'm drunk!  LOL

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:07:49 am »
It sounds like you are progressing well!  That's great news.  They were able to save my hearing and I'm grateful.  The tumor, even though very small, had decided to give my facial nerve some company and then decided it was too comfortable in its sticky emotional attachment to totally be separated from its friend.  So, in case it should decide to grow again, I'm continuing to follow threads on hearing devices, etc.  My balance was significantly better before I worked all week this week.  By yesterday, I was humbled.  Today after finally getting some much needed sleep, it feels better again.  Tomorrow I hope to try paddle boarding again.  It was great balance therapy last weekend!

Please keep sending updates.  I'm interested!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 06:46:27 pm »
I too was leery about a BAHA implant after going through AN surgery, but rest assured the two are COMPLETELY different.

My AN surgery was 7 1/2 hours, 6 nights in the hospital, general anesthesia, weeks of recovery, etc.

My BAHA implant surgery was roughly 90 minutes (much of it spent draping me and prepping the site), outpatient, and I was wide awake (my doc used local anesthesia - lidocaine to be exact).  I walked out of the hospital after about 10 minutes in the recovery room and went about my day.  Healing was fast, without issues, and I was able to wear my processor 90 days later.  My "Gotcha Day" was one of the best of my life; after being SSD for 9 months.

Most docs will do the implant with general anesthesia if you want; mine gives patients the choice, but over 90% of his patients choose local.  It's nice not to have that "coming out of anesthesia" feeling, and with the local you don't feel a thing. 

The BAHA isn't for everyone, but don't let the thought of another surgery turn you off. 

My suggestion is try the demo and then make up your mind.  The demo is incredible and the real thing is that much better.

As for the TransEar, I've heard really great things about it.  I didn't go with one because I didn't want anything in my ear or anything that was noticeable to others (call me vain).  Fit is key though, so make sure you go to someone who is well-versed in the TransEar.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

susierg

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:55 am »
Thanks Jan,
Appreciate the info.  I have found that my Insurance will not cover any type of hearing aid, but does have a discount for them.  Just don't know what yet as I can't access my husband's benefits site and he keeps forgetting lol.  Did not realize that the BAHA was such a minor surgery.  That's gives me something to think about.  Why did you have to wait 90 days for the processor?  Does it take that long for the incision to heal or is it something else.  I have heard that the TransEar runs around $2500.....wow!  Well, I'm not rushing into a decision, but really do appreciate your input.  Thanks so much!