Author Topic: 4 months post-op translab  (Read 4830 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
4 months post-op translab
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:01:56 pm »
I know I'm a little early (can you tell I'm excited?), but in 5 days I'll be 4 months post-op! I had my translab surgery back on May 11th and, goodness, I can't believe how quickly time has flown by! I remember thinking in May that I would never feel like myself again and now, here I am, four months later and, aside from a few minor changes, I feel just like me again.   ;D
I just put up a brand new blog entry (complete with pictures!) with updates about how I'm doing so I won't go into all the details here. The link is www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com, so please have a look and feel free to leave comments! 
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 4 months post-op translab
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:45 pm »
Amanda ~

Thanks for the link to your blog.  You look great and, better yet, feel like yourself again.  Your experience is highly encouraging to other AN patients contemplating surgery and wondering about how they'll recover and to what extent the surgery will have on their lives, beyond the natural healing time involved.  Although some AN surgery patients do encounter obstacles on their path to recovery, many do just fine.  I'm glad you're one of them and that you took the time to tell our community.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »
Thanks for your update.  Feeling like YOU again!!!  Wow, that sounds fun.  Jim is correct.  It is helpful to those of us who recently had surgery and those who are anticipating surgery to hear updates even though everyone is different.  How long did it take for your balance issues to resolve if it has? 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:36 am »
Amanda,

Congrats on being 4 months post-op and feeling like yourself again.  I look forward to reading your updates.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »
Congratulations!

There IS life after an AN - and you're just another example  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »
It Is What It Is,

I hope that your recovery is speeding along well! I would say that my balance issues took a little over a month to resolve to the point where I could get around normally and didn't feel wonky all the time. My vestibular therapy most definitely helped in that area and I would suggest it if you're not already doing it.
I teach Zumba and it took a bit longer for me to feel comfortable doing that again since it involves so much rapid movement. Overall though  I would say maybe around 6 weeks to feel A-ok. It does differ from person to person but I hope that helps to give you a general idea.
Praying that you continue to recover well!  :)

Manders
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

LizAN

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »
Amanda, you look fantastic!

It is so encouraging to hear that you feel like yourself again.  I'm just past two months post-op, so I guess I am half-way there.

Thanks for keeping us updated.  I tried to post a comment on your blog, but got the message "The characters you entered didn't match the word verification. Please try again."  It happened even when I was quite sure the characters matched.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:34 am »
It is encouraging to think the balance issues will continue to improve.  I wasn't able to work this week and do vestibular exercises.  The combination proved too exhausting and discombobulating.  Hopefully I can begin doing both again soon.  Thanks. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
Yay! Manders. I haven't been on here lately, so this was one of the first I read tonight. It's great to hear how well you are doing post op. Happy to read all the wonderful responses from everyone. I have to say, this sure is a great group of people. I've been really busy traveling around and living life to the fullest, so I'm trying to catch up with everyone. Thanks for posting. I too just went over my 4 month mark and feel really great. I'm about to post something now.

Take care.

Davecz
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

millie

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 05:29:41 pm »
Wonderful news, Manders!  Thanks for the comfort and hope!  I have trans-lab October 17th and you folks sharing  sure helps.

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:15:13 am »
Oh my goodness, now that I'm feeling pretty much my old self again, I haven't been keeping up with the forum like I used to. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and, Millie, I hope that your surgery went well and that you're off to a speedy recovery. You'll be in my prayers!  :)