Author Topic: CSF Leak 16 months post op  (Read 4998 times)

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
CSF Leak 16 months post op
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
Hi folks

I have not posted for a while but thought it was worth noting that I have recently been discharged from hospital for another repair of a CSF leak and I am 16 months post op for removal right AN (Translab).  I had problems with CSF leak post op over a four month period and this will be the fourth operation to correct the problem.  The main symptoms were leaking from the nose and major balance issues.  I seem to be back on track now and hopefully this will be the last; I will never feel the same again when I have a drippy nose.

I thought that a post was important so if there are fellow ANers out there who are experience symptoms of CSF leak and feel that it can't be so long after surgery, think again and see your doctor.  The doctor said it was unusual to experience a leak this long post surgery and he has not had a patient in fifteen years with this complication.

Hope you are all keeping well :)

Kimbo
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

It is what it is

Re: CSF Leak 16 months post op
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about the leak but am glad to know that we still need to watch for it.  I thought it was no longer a risk after the first month.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

kshcon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »
I was over 2 years post-op when diagnosed with a csf leak. My boyfriend, who is a retinal surgeon, is the one who figured it out.  When i went for my annual neurosurgeon visit and brought it up, he said there was no way I had a leak.  However, when i went to my neurotologist, he did testing and sure enough, there was.  Had surgery last april to fix it.  A postop visit this week showed that i still have a small leak, and am heading back to surgery. Do not ignore clear runny fluid running out of one nostril, along with variuos migraine symptoms!  I have been lucky that i havent gotten meningitis at least. 

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:22 am »
Thank goodness you caught this!  How does one tell the difference between post nasal drip and CSF leak?  When is your next surgery?  Do they access this through the first surgical site?  My thoughts are with you.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:58:11 am »
My issue is I had a very drippy nostril even before surgery. I've had it for years. I'm not sure why. No headaches tho.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:14 am »
I've had the same thing Mindy.  So, headaches are another component of diagnosing possible CFS leak?

Karen