Author Topic: Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated  (Read 9119 times)

knit78

Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:57:07 am »
I just registered for this site today and am learning so many things from the forum. I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback on my own situation.

I live in Massachusetts. I've been dealing with a lot of vertigo, nausea, headaches, and fatigue for the last few months. In the last month everything has become substantially worse, particularly the vertigo. It seems to impare my daily functions. I finally had an MRI ordered by an ENT and on Friday he told me I have an acoustic neuroma. He said he would be referring me to Dr. Mason in Springfield. This morning I was told that the earliest he could get me in was October 18th, an entire month from now. I'm incredibly frustrated with my situation because my life has changed so drastically. I was a very active, healthy individual prior to this....running 20 miles a week, hiking, working full-time, etc. Now...my vertigo is so bad that running is fairly impossible and borderline dangergous. Driving myself anywhere seems unwise given my inability to see straight and focus on the road. I sleep - a lot. When I say a lot, I mean every free moment I have I just want to sleep. I'm so heavily fatigued. My vision is poor and I think that mostly stems from the vertigo. I have headaches. I feel very confused or fuzzy. My point? My point is that I feel like my life has been depreciated by about 90%. It's hard to function on a day to day basis and now I have to wait another month to see someone about treatment? Should I be patient and go along with this, or ask for another referral? Or should I start seeking out my own doctor? I don't want to be that nagging patient, but this has put me in an immense about depression. I want to get treatment sooner rather than later.
Nikki

*MRI Sept 19, 2012 shows 14mmx9mmx9mm
*Consult with Dr. Barkers & Quesnell October 5th
*Retrosigmoid performed successfully November 2nd
*Returned home November 6th to begin my recovery
*Counting my blessings and looking forward to the day that I run the streets again

LakeErie

Re: Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
You will probably want several opinions anyway, so go ahead and find your own physicians. Mass General has a good reputation treating AN's so it would be a good starting point given where you are. See how long it takes to get an appointment with the AN teams there. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »
Dear knit78,

Just thinking you can get free consultations by mail if you (like I did) send your copies of your MRI reports and CD's to the House ear Institute  in LA (Dr. Friedman) and UPMC  in Pittsburg, PA (Dr. Douglas Kondziulka). It is good to once you decide on treatment to get at a minimum 3 opinions and then decide. However, if you still feel uncomfortable with the opinions that you get or the way you are treated, get that one more opinion. This is very important! Welcome to the forum! You will find a great deal of well wishers here as we are each going through some phase of treatment be it Watch and Wait, operations, post operations, radiation or post-radiation.

In 2004, I got both HEI and UPMC consults for free with no obligation. In 2012 in June when I was deciding whether to go with the Gamma Knife, I personally visited UPMC and talked one on one with Dr. Kondziulka.

I wish you well.

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

sterry

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:18:54 pm »
Hello knit78,
 Three years ago I was in your similar situation, the fatigue and sleeping! I had a 3.7 cm AN. I agree with the last post send your MRI disc to House and any others that read and give opinions for free. It is definitely a help. I used to read my computer at work with one eye, because I thought my eyes were aging! Had surgery and that went away! Also have lots of energy again. The radiologist that read my MRI told me, these are rare, and you have some time, and you should find a doctor that does a lot of these in a year, not a few. I found his advice to be very wise.
Best to you.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Alison

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:02:02 am »
Dear knit78,

I am also recently diagnosed and frustrated! What you describe is very much how I am feeling, like my previous active life is now on hold because of dizziness and vertigo, balance issues, along with tinnitus, full head etc. I no longer feel confident about going out alone as I feel like I may fall over and am pretty frightened, to put it mildly, about the future. (I have posted recently about these issues in inquiries and pre-treatment issues).

I was diagnosed at the end of August  (14mm x 10mm x 8mm) and have been told I may get an apt with the neurosurgeon at my nearest centre, at the end of October. That'll be nearly 6 months from the start of my symptoms, and 2 months from the MRI. Then no doubt months before a surgery slot. My situation differs from yours in the fact that I am in the UK, but I just wanted to say I so understand the way you are feeling and you are not alone. I think the worst thing is waking up in the morning and it hits you all over again.

I've learnt so much from this site and have been amazed at the generosity and support given by the people who have been through this. I hope, being in the US you can get your apt soon.

best wishes,

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Alison

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:32 am »
Hi again Knit78,

a quick update. It's worth chasing the apts and being a "pest", even though, like you, I felt awkward about it.  I have heard today there has been a cancellation at my nearest centre and I have got my first apt booked for Monday afternoon. Exactly a month after my diagnosis. Fingers crossed!

So keep on keeping on.

Let us know how you do.

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:13 am »
Alison,
     Welcome to the forum.  The good news:  the doctors may explain to you that the fact that you have such severe symptoms now may actually cause your "good" side to begin to compensate and thus speed your ultimate recovery.  I too was an avid runner prior to my diagnosis (5 to 6 miles a day and more on the weekends).  My doctors and I are convinced that being in such good shape (and much prayer) got me through the difficult times.  By the way, I am back to running, though not so fast and furious.  I said a prayer for you this morning.  Keep us posted.  Susan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:28:36 am by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

PamJ

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
Hi Alison good new about your earlier appointment please let me know how you get on
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

sarahinPA

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:39:22 pm »
you should take the oppurtunity to seek other opinions, while still keeping your october appointment. I personally had Gamma Knife from UPMC Dr. Kondziolka, as Demsey mentions. He was an amazing doctor, and his team was wonderfil too. He pointed me in the direction of Dr. Paul Gardner at UPMC when it was time for my actual surgery. Dr. K. does Gamma Knife and is one of the most experienced in this field when it comes to ANs.

Good luck and please PM me if you have more questions about the staff at UPMC.

Also, im sorry that you are experiencing this, its a hard thing to process, but contiue to get information and discuss with the people here, they are a wonderfil spport group and will help you with many questions you may have, from a patients perspective.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

knit78

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »
Thank you all for the advice & insight. I finally have my CD with the MRI images & report. I'll be forwarding them on to Mass General and see what happens from there. I'm just hoping for someone relief some time in the future.
Nikki

*Counting my blessings and looking forward to the day that I run the streets again

New girl

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:04 am »
Sorry you have an AN knit78.  I was treated at MGH/MEEI.  I'd be happy to answer any questions or to compare notes.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

kareno

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:02 am »
Hi Knit78:

I am sorry you have an AN.  I would take the opportunity and seek another opinion.  Dr Carl Heilman at Tufts Medical Center in Boston is outstanding and deals with Acoustic Neuromas.  My husband received superb care and in a very timely manner from him and the staff at Tufts I highly recommend them.  Best Wishes to you and I understand your frustration with the process.

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

knit78

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:15 am »
I'm feeling a little less frustrated today. I faxed my MRI reports to Mass General yesterday morning and by the afternoon I had an appointment for Oct 1 scheduled with Dr. Barker. I read somewhere else on this forum that researching and looking for treatment is a full-time job. So true! I don't know what is exhausting me more now, the tumor or trying to find the right person to take care of me.

Thank you for all the suggestions and support. :-)
Nikki

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:25 am »
Dear knit78,

If you can have copies of your MRI reports and CD's made it is more than worth your while. That way you don't have to wait or chase them down as you mail them from one to the other. Just sayin'!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

New girl

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
Hi Knit78,

Barker is generally very serious.  I didnt see him smile (slightly) until my post op appt.  If you ask him questions he will take the time to answer them so dont be shy.  He is extremely knowledgable about ANs.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons