Author Topic: Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated  (Read 9120 times)

geexploitation

Re: Recently Diagnosed and Frustrated
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 05:28:07 pm »
Agreed with New Girl. Barker takes a while to warm up, but he's good. He was my neurosurgeon. He does a ton of ANs and since experience matters that's a good thing for you. MGH is a great institution; I received top notch care there. I'm glad you have an appointment there -- you'll be in good hands.
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.

thisisajourney

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »
I believe that making sure you get a doctor whom is knowledgeable about  a.n.s  and do some research on the procedures is well worth your time and if you can't maybe someone close to you can. My tumor WA a
4X2.9 removed march 22,2010.
Seems that I had found out Feb. 22 2010 and a month later had my operation. Ask questions.

MaryCPereira

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 06:45:39 am »
I also met with Dr. Barker. I agree with everyone else...he isn't the friendliest doctor. I am still W&W, so he never actually took it out, but he did seem knowledgable.  However, I'm younger than most of his patients, so when I asked him why when I have one alcoholic beverage I fall over like a drunk, he had no idea. He said he couldn't answer that because most of his patients are older and don't ask him things like that....soo...that wasn't too helpful! But, I just stopped drinking at all (not that I drank a lot before - only maybe once ever two or three months, if that...), so now that isn't an issue. I figure I fall over enough sober, so I don't need to add alcohol to that!

I was going to Mass Eye and Ear, but I have recently switched to Dartmouth Hitchcock in Lebanon, NH. It's a bit closer for me, but also, I just really like the doctor there.
And, at DHMC, they have an AN clinic every Monday afternoon, so I was able to get my second opinion appointment scheduled within two weeks. It was great. They also had both a APRN from neurosurgery and the doctor in the room, so it was very beneficial. I also felt more comfortable with the ppl at DHMC than Boston, so I was able to advocate better for myself.

I'd say, meet with Mass, and if you want a face to face second opinon, definitely call Dr. Saunders at Dartmouth. They're great.

Good luck and I really hope you feel better soon!

sarahinPA

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:01 am »
I originally gave my insight on Dr. Kondzoilka in Pittsburgh UPMC. I received a letter last week that he will be moving to New York University Hospital. So just an FYI
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.