Author Topic: Driving and AN's  (Read 3557 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Driving and AN's
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:26:51 am »
To the newbies,

If you have an AN and you have an active drivers license, depending on what State you are living in, you may be subject to an authorized doctor's note before you are permitted to drive again.

In my area (which is NYC) the DMV just needed to see documented proof of my ability to continue to drive. Admittedly, this was frustrating for me because I have been driving since 1978! But I enrolled in Kessler Rehabilitation's driving program which involved a road test. Kessler is NJ.

Many of you will want to check this out, because it (your license) is like your independence. Believe me, I took a taxi from place to place from 2004 to 2005. That's expensive and you quickly learn to become self sufficient.

If you are a long time driver like I am, you begin to miss that sense of independence that we all take for granted.

Safe driving everybody!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

New girl

Re: Driving and AN's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:03 pm »
Interesting.  Thanks Mike.  This is not the case in Massachusetts.  We have enough bad drivers without brain tumors!   ;)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
Thanks, Mike.

I live in Connecticut and have no knowledge of needing any sort of physician's statement to maintain my drivers license following my AN surgery & radiation (2006).  I renewed my license last year and don't recall being asked about impairments (I have none).  I assume my state's DMV doesn't ask about medical conditions that don't obviously affect one's driving ability.  Sort of a DMV version of 'don't ask, don't tell'. ;)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »
Nothing like this in Illinois that I know of - but then again the DMV doesn't know I had an AN or AN surgery.  Not that either one of these "events" compromised my driving ability.  They also don't know that I now sport a BAHA, but again, that doesn't compromise my driving ability.

Sounds like the rehabilitation course you took clued the DMV in, Mike.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skipg

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:55:54 pm »
VA has a self disclosure rule and list the conditions that would impair a person. In addition anyone may fill out a MED3 form that the DMV will review and contact the person for an evaluation. The reporter is made known to the driver unless they are a relative or medical person treating the driver.
Keep my name off of any list!
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

rupert

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »
To the newbies,

If you have an AN and you have an active drivers license, depending on what State you are living in, you may be subject to an authorized doctor's note before you are permitted to drive again.

In my area (which is NYC) the DMV just needed to see documented proof of my ability to continue to drive. Admittedly, this was frustrating for me because I have been driving since 1978! But I enrolled in Kessler Rehabilitation's driving program which involved a road test. Kessler is NJ.

Many of you will want to check this out, because it (your license) is like your independence. Believe me, I took a taxi from place to place from 2004 to 2005. That's expensive and you quickly learn to become self sufficient.

If you are a long time driver like I am, you begin to miss that sense of independence that we all take for granted.

Safe driving everybody!

Mike
How did they know?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:23:34 am »
Actually just renewed my license this morning (yes, I'll be a whole year older next week  :'( )

Guy doing my vision test just asked me a couple of questions: was I driving on a ticket or suspended license; did I have any kind of mental illness; was I taking medication that would preclude me from safe driving.  Nothing that would even apply to an AN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways