Author Topic: MRI Experience  (Read 4571 times)

Palace

• Palace
MRI Experience
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:57 pm »
Hi Family Village:

I went for my 9th MRI this morning in northern California.  I didn't have it done last year.  Everything was the same as usual except they are now a paperless center.  The person who did the scan has been there 26 years and likes his job!  The experience was easier since currently they ask the questions and use a computer to enter the data before, the procedure.  All I had to do was sign a few signatures. 

The problem in the past was the disc wasn't put in Dicom Format and I'd have to travel down to a different center about a week or so later to have them burn another disc.  I'd then have to send the second disc to Stanford which of course, delayed the reading of the results.  I'm hoping this time all is well.  I didn't have to go elsewhere to get the disc.  It was done at this place for the first time, for me.

If I wanted to drive another 14+ miles going south, I could have booked the quiet MRI machine.

What is it like where each of you have your MRI done?

Palace
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:01:25 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: MRI Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:30 am »
Side Effects of gadolinium weren't presented to me however, I know headaches, nausea and tight skin and other issues can happen to certain people.  I drank plenty of water to flush it out.
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:05 am »
I was away yesterday but, came back to the house finding a message from Stanford.  They received my disc via postal mail over the night---quick acknowledgement this time.  Of course the scans aren't read yet, though.  I do appreciate that someone phoned to let me know the MRI results were received and logged that fast. 

In some cases (not sure what those are) the MRI center will FedEx the disc over to the doctors.

I've got a big black/purple mark where the gadolinium injection sight is.  I've never had that before.  It's bigger than the size of a pea.

At the center a couple of blocks from the Dominican one I went to, they always charged me $5.00 for each additional disc purchased.

This is my updated MRI experience for 2012.  (the last one was, 2010 and everything didn't go as smoothly back then)

I'm hoping the results are read soon.  I like that graph that was made for me on this forum.  The charting of the results surely shows the success of the treatment.

Thanks again for the contributions and help with the graph.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:52:49 pm by Palace »
single sided deafness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »
My experience has always been very positive - and I get a free CD of my images before I walk out the door of the hospital.  I have to wait about 10 minutes for it, but it's worth it.

The hospital I go to (Adventist Hinsdale, in Hinsdale IL) just got a new 3-D machine, but it was just being installed when I had my last MRI.  I don't need another until 2017, so I guess I'll get to experience it then - unless something even better comes out in the meantime.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »
My MRI's were very noisy! Lots of banging around.   That's all I remember-I was not sedated.  They piped in relaxing music for me-IT WAS HIP_HOP!  I could not wait for the machine to stop and when they asked me how I was doing, I said great, but please turn off that awful music!
I had no marks from the gandolium site.  The CD's were free-I asked for extras.  After a fifteen minute wait, I walked out with four CD's. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »
I don't get music, but then again doubt I would hear it with all the clanging.

I've learned to love the clanging though.  First MRI I found it annoying and kind of scary.  Subsequent MRIs I kind of like it; I find it almost musical and very relaxing.

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of weird  ::)  LOL

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:41:32 am »
Hello Friends:

I was told the other day that my tumor shrunk more since the last MRI, two years ago.  I called back the next day for the size measurements.  It isn't noted/charted yet.

Thanks for the contributions to the thread.  It's interesting where people have to go and travel just to be properly treated; where the needed team and equipment are.  (And most importantly, your MRI experiences comparing the adventure each place in the country)

Maybe I'll hear from Stanford tomorrow as it will be a work-day, on Monday.

Thanks again for the interesting stories.  Keep them coming.

Regards,

Palace
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:43:50 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 11:46:49 am »
Shrinking is good.

Congrats, Palace!!!  ;D

Jan

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:42 am »
Good idea Palace so others who follow us here can get an idea of different places where MRIs are performed differently.

I had mine done at the John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.

It was a bit noisy but only every now and then and the radiologist would tell me when it was about to start.  I thought I might be 'hemmed in' but there was a mirror on it that showed the outside and where the nurses and radiographers were sitting so it seemed open and not so enclosed.
They treated my like I was precious until they heard me laughing at missing painting my toenails for the occasion LOL

All was done with a smile and I felt right at home and unafraid.
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:31:06 am »
Hello,

The results for this year on my MRI (Note: measurements can vary depending on who measures the scan; yes, believe it or not) are 17X9X11.  Two years ago on my last MRI was 19X12X11.

I sent a signed (five pages) FAX for the release of the report which I haven't yet received.  I got these measurements done this AM by the N.P.

I'm under the  impression that 2% of the people this long after treatment are lucky enough to have even more shrinkage.

Pal
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:33:23 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:17:59 am »
I had my second MRI at the VA Medical Center in Phoenix. Must have gotten used to it as it was less of an ordeal than the first one 6 months ago. Closed my eyes and listed to our local oldies station. Had to control my desire to groove with the music. Figured moving around was not a good idea. Next thing I knew it was done.

I went downstairs to the records office, signed a form, got my records printed out, brought a copy of the form back up to Radiology and had my CD in about 15 minutes, no charge.

I didn't pay any attention to the injection mark yesterday but today it's also about the size of a pea but only a little darker than the surrounding skin.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

miltonpool

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 11:05:05 am »
I get an MRI every year and have been for the last 4 years.  They give me mine free and they send the other one to the Dr.  As for the MRI itself I take a tranquilizer about 15 minutes before and nothing bothers me.  I am alright to drive home by myself with any problems.