Author Topic: Sound bite  (Read 2943 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Sound bite
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:16 pm »
Hi everyone.  Has anyone been able to find out the insurance code number for the Sound Bite device itself?  Going to HEI next month for check up and to work on getting this device.  My insurance needs the code in order to tell me if it is covered or not.  Thanks for any input you may have.
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

op2012

Re: Sound bite
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:31 am »
I talked to the makers of Sound Bite (Sonitus) and they gave me the code L9900. They said you can also ask if the insurance covers BAHA as they are similar. If they do, they probably cover Sound Bite. They told me sound bit is considered a "prosthetic hearing aid) - if it helps.
Now, do you know with who we need to talk at HEI in order to start the process with the insurance for the Sound Bite? I talked to many people at HEI and no one seems to know how to get started...
Thanks!

kaykay

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:47:59 am »
that L9900 code sounds familiar...i know they are trying to pass it off as a prosthetic device.
i cant really help on this...cuz i havent received a final bill for my device yet.  i did get a thing from my insurance company a couple of years ago saying they are covering 80%...but then just recently i got a notice from soundbite that they are still trying to get more coverage........

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
They said you can also ask if the insurance covers BAHA as they are similar. If they do, they probably cover Sound Bite. They told me sound bit is considered a "prosthetic hearing aid) - if it helps.

Not sure of the code for the Sound Bite, but have to note that the BAHA is not really similar so don't be surprised if insurance doesn't cover it.  The BAHA involves an implant which is permanent; the Sound Bite is not permanent nor does it involves an implant.

BAHAs are typically coded as an implant, but can sometimes be coded as a prosthesis.  The words "hearing aid" are generally not even mentioned, as most insurance companies don't cover hearing aids.

As Kaykay mentioned, Sonitus is trying to pass the Sound Bite off as a prosthetic, but I'm not 100% sure they've been successful.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways