Author Topic: Surgery date set after being W&W for almost 5 years  (Read 4763 times)

Glenda

Surgery date set after being W&W for almost 5 years
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »
Well, I finally did it.  Decided to go ahead and remove this little alien invader ;-)  It's been steadily growing slowly since it was found in Jan of 2008.  I saw the Dr's in July and they were going to let me go another year but said not much more than that because it was now so close to the brain stem.   We had an insurance meeting at work and our insurance will be changing next year and will not be as good.  I decided to go ahead and get it over with this year since it will have to be done soon anyway.  I must admit I am still nervous though I do feel in good hands.  It was the hardest phone call I have ever made to call and tell them to set a date for surgery though I felt better after it was done.  The surgery is set for November 28th.  It will be with Dr's Wilson and Oliver at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem NC. 
I see there are several surgeries coming up.  Prayers for all of you!!

Thanks to all of you for the support given on this forum!

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

It is what it is

Re: Surgery date set after being W&W for almost 5 years
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:33:49 am »
My thoughts and prayers will be with you.  Please keep us updated.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Glenda

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
Hi Karen!

I see you recently had surgery.  How are you doing?  I really hope you are doing well!!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:51:28 pm »
Thanks for asking Glenda.  I was fortunate to have my hearing preserved with the middle fossa surgery.  I returned to work and driving a month after surgery.  Life is good.  The vestibular system on the non AN side takes time to compensate, so I'm continuing to do my exercises.  How are you?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »
Hi, Glenda ~

Congratulations for having the fortitude to make that crucial phone call and schedule AN surgery.  I'm confident you'll do fine with many good folks sending up prayers for you as well as sending you our good thoughts and warm wishes for a successful, complication-free surgery experience.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Glenda

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:49:12 pm »
Thank you Jim!  I appreciate all the prayers and well wishes!!

Karen, I am ok.  A little dizzy lately but I also have sinus problems so could be attributed to that also.  I do have concentrating problems at times.. thoughts don't come easily and I have to concentrate more on what I am doing.  My job requires alot of concentration and memory so it's a challenge at times.  The Dr's have told me I will lose all hearing when the surgery is done.  The AN is so far in the canal that they feel to get to it will sever the nerve, that is main reason they have let me wait and watch.  I mourn my hearing already but am thankful that it is not any worse.  I just pray the facial nerve is ok.... Tinnitus is steadily getting worse too so I hope this will at least stop it from getting any worse, from what I have read on here it seems it rarely gets better with surgery.
I am so glad to hear how well you have done!!! That is encouragement!!  Thanks for asking about me! Prayers for you that you continue to heal!!

Glenda
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:19 am »
Hi Glenda,

I know it was a difficult decision to make.  Who wants brain surgery !  I'm approaching my second year of a post operative middle fossa procedure.  I couldn't imagine leaving something growing inside the head and I jumped right into surgery.  I have no regrets, and I hope all goes really well for you.  Stay in touch with your AN community.  I will keep you in my prayers.

Bob

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
Prayers continue for you Glenda.  Bob, what are your symptoms now---Especially the vestibular symptoms?  If they improved, how long did it take and what did you to help with this?  Thanks,

karen

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »
Good luck with your surgery, Glenda.

Keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways