Author Topic: Body Temperature Question  (Read 3516 times)

CupcakeQueen83

Body Temperature Question
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »
My husband is 3 weeks post-op on his acoustic neuroma, and we've noticed an odd quirk.  While it's been a lovely day here in Texas, a temperature of about 85 degrees, Stuart has been wearing flannel pj pants and a hoodie, and has been BEGGING me to turn off the AC (thermostat in the house reads 75).  He's been freezing at night, and will wake up covered in sweat.  Has anyone else experience an odd temperature gauge after surgery?  Is this some strange side-effect of the healing his body is doing?
Wife of AN patient
Diagnosis 10/6/12 - 3.5cm
Translab Surgery 10/9/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Body Temperature Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »
Hi ~

I'm not a doctor but my guess is that the effects of the surgery - a trauma to the body - are causing his system to work 'overtime' to heal and that is reducing his body's ability to maintain it's normal temperature.  This should be temporary.  I recall being more sensitive to cold immediately following my surgery asking for extra blankets while in the hospital).  However, if this condition persists or becomes worse, I strongly suggest contacting your husband's doctor to alert him/her of the situation and to seek advice on a remedy.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:56:32 pm »
Feeling cold can be a sign that your husband has a fever.
If your husband has a fever he probably has an infection.
Meninigitis is a common and serious complication from AN surgery.
If he has a fever, you need to seek medical attention quickly.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:30 pm »
I, too, became more sensitive to the cold temperatures...especially around my head.  I would take a smaller blanket and wrap it around my head, like a bonnet.  My husband thought I was strange.  I still feel that way sometimes, especially now that the weather is getting colder in my area.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

DHJ

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:25:57 pm »
Hi   A Elevated Post OP body temperature could be a indication of Meningitis. This happened to me 8 days post op and I also had chills and a body temp of 101. I was cured with 3 months of antibiotics and a second surgery. You need to rule this out.Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

debraclark

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »
Hi I am 6 weeks post op myself and get the hot and cold feelings. I would take his temp anyway and see what it registers? I was told at discharge from hospital to take my temp in the am and pm, before taking any pain meds or tylenol or ibuprophen (creates a false reading). I also was told anything over 100.4 to let doctor know. But my temp probably ran like 99 to 100 first couple days then was normal. As for just being cold or hot without a fever? I have that alot I thought maybe my old hot flashes were kicking in but now I have to wonder? The anesthesia from surgery seems to cause us all kinds of effects. We are in a new normal for those of us who have surgery for Acoustic Neuromas, every day seems to be a new experience. I sincerely hope that your husband is doing well. Keep us posted. Take care.
New Jersey- Female- 54
Self Diagnosed July 6, 2012
Officially Diagnosed August 16, 2012      3CM AN
Surgery at Jefferson Neuroscience Sept. 25, 2012
Removed 99.9% of tumor-10 hour surgery-Retrosigmoid

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »
How is your husband now?

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.