Author Topic: newbie and confused  (Read 1852 times)

lagossard

newbie and confused
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:03:27 am »
Hi, I am a 41 year old mother.  I just found out a month ago that  I have a small tumor covering the end of my ear canal.  I have lost some hearing over the last 5 years.  I want this thing gone yesterday.  I would like to try to perserve my hearing and am a candidate for both the middle fossa or the retrosigmoid approach.  The more I read the more confused I become.  Both sound very similar and I would appreciate any info. I can get.  I am having my surgery at the University of Cincinnati Hospital. Thank you, LAG
LAG

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: newbie and confused
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »
Hi LAG! Welcome to our little club! I am sorry you had to find it, but you will not find a better place for support and information. First of all, I don't know if you have found it, but there's a link on the anausa.org main page that will take to a spot where you can request information on all things AN. It's free and very informative. I believe all you have to do is fill out the form with you address and it will be snail mailed to you.  As far as your question on the different approaches, it all comes down to where they access the tumor on your skull.  With middle fossa (which is what I had) they do it forward and above your ear, and retro is behind and below, I believe.  It basically comes down to what your doctor is more comfortable doing.  Of course, tumor size and position does play into it as well.  I did retain hearing but it's about half of what it was. I did get a BAHA (a bone anchored hearing aid) which has helped immensley.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone coming out of surgery with perfect hearing, once the AN starts compromising the hearing nerves they dont' bounce back.  Please take the time and do searches on this forum, using keywords such as retro, middle fossa, etc.  We are not doctors and of course every person is unique to just try to get a general feel on how this stuff all works. If you have any pointed question we will help you try to answer them. Good luck in your decision, and please let us know how it goes! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

It is what it is

Re: newbie and confused
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »
Hi.  I join Jay in welcoming you to the list. I had middle fossa surgery at HEI and came out with the same hearing that I had before surgery.  They gave me a 70% chance of this happening.  When I was making my treatment decision, one of my questions to the doctors was what the percentages were for preserving my pre-treatment hearing in the long run.   You are doing a great job looking for information to help you with your decision.  Please let us know what you decide.  There are no wrong decisions.  We all make our decisions based on our own unique circumstances. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.