Author Topic: Surgery coming  (Read 6880 times)

Lillygold

Surgery coming
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »
In June I went to a ear doctor because of hearing problems,ringing, fullness plus taste problems in my left ear, opps my mouth not the ear had the taste problems sent me for an MRI where Ms An was discovered taking up resident in my brain. I went to the Internet to find out what Ms An was about and it did not look too good. I also discovered this site and joined. I have read just about every entry, blog etc on this site. I get on about every day to read the latest. I have had three opinions including the House and am going with Trans. Ms AN is small 1.2 but I want it out so I don't have to stew about this. Dr. Mullin and Dr Ryzenman are doing the surgery at Mt Carmel East in Columbus, Ohio. I know the House and other places are rated but I am single and can not afford to travel all over plus asking friends to travel all over with me. They are willing but they have families etc plus my mom who is 90 lives with me. She is in good health. The surgery is Nov 13. I am anxious about the side effects I will have besides SSD and balance issues from Ms An. I know The Lord is directing the doctors, nurses etc plus my church,relatives and friends are praying and I would like prayers from you guys too. I will write to let you all know how the removal of Ms An goes after I am able to do so. I have been doing some fun things this week with family and friends before the fun begins next Tues. I am hoping to watch the Buckeyes play Wisconsin  and Michigan after this experience. It took me a while to build up the courage to write about this for I am not a writer. Oh I had a balance test with the water in the ears etc. this test showed damage to left hearing and balance nerves while the right side appeared to be fine.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery coming
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:53:51 am »
Hi Lillygold .....

Thanks for sharing your story.  So glad you had several opinions for treatment options.  Each of us has a very personal decision to make for our own treatment/care.  Our family/friends situation plays a big role in the decision-making process.

If you have already experienced balance issues for some time, it may not be all that bad post-op, as your brain has already begun compensating for the poorly working nerve.

As for SSD, many of us on this forum have had bone-anchored hearing devices implanted/attached with great results to assist your hearing ..... and there are other options, as well.  I am so glad I chose to have the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro abutment implanted.  It has been a wonderful boost to my hearing ability!

Best thoughts and many prayers.  Let us know how it all goes, when you can.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »
Hi, Lilly ~

You did just fine with your first post and I'm pleased that you decided to share your AN experience with us.

You'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many - including me - as you prepare for The Big Day (Tuesday).  It'll be over sooner that you realize.  Post-op issues are very individual and can vary greatly from patient to patient.  The operating surgeons skill is a big factor but so are the size and location of the AN.

I trust that you'll have a good surgical outcome, especially with all the prayers being said for you.  I had people all over the country praying for me as I underwent my AN surgery - and not only did it go very well but my recovery was also relatively rapid.  I wish you a similar experience, of course.  Now, go enjoy your week-end.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
Prayers, Lily.

Not all of us went to House - and we turned out just fine  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lillygold

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. I am looking into a hearing device like the Baha which I understand is a while done the road. The pillow and sound device sounds like something I should look into. As you have all stated everyone is different in this and I think that is what concerns me the most. I feel like I am entering into the hospital in ok condition and coming out all different. I will be glad when Ms AN is evicted from her resident for it is causing problems. I have not had too much balance problems so I will probably really have problems. I am not a drinking gal but guess I will look like one after this.it might be interesting to post a video of learning to walk:) I am sure it would be a real winning video.you have all been so positive in your recoveries so I am trying to be just as positive about my recovering that it will take time. I am retired so I will have time. Looking forward to being a postie

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:10:18 pm »
I'm including you in my thoughts and prayers. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Lillygold

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »
Thank you

millie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »
Hi Lily-
Best wishes to you...I am praying for you too...I had trans-lab October 17th.  Prayer warriors on this site  here prayed for me and I am so grateful for their support.
My mom too is 90 and is a very spry 90 but I did a lot for her...a few other folks stepped up to help out (she does not drive and lives twenty miles away) and my brother stepped up too, and that is going very well.
I thought I could not walk the first time I tried, but in three days, I could do stairs-of course I held on to the railings, but you will be able to walk again.  As for my balance, I still have the fullheadedness, but I do not feel like I will fall over.  I walked about a mile and a half today on a walking trail with my husband and I plan on doing that every day to try to stimulate recovery.
I think the first few days after surgery were tough; take the pain meds they offer.  Take the meds that help you go potty-they won't release you until you have had a B.M.! Once I got home I was finally able to sleep and rest. 
My face (left side) and eye have some droop, but these have improved and the doctor tells me they will come back.
I am very happy to be rid of the tumor...they got it all and I am relieved.  The thought of a tumor in my auditory canal-growing larger-was something I had to act on, and after a lot of reading on this site and others, I made a decision.  I'd do the same thing today.
We can do this.
Prayers.
Millie

Lillygold

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:20:52 pm »
Millie
Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. My mom and I are relying on good friends to help us out. Our relatives all live out of town. My sister plans to come down for a few days to help out. Looking forward to being a postie. By the way I am 67 so it will take awhile for me to heal.
Lilly

millie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »
Lily-I am 65...yes, it takes us a little longer, but remember, we are the Baby Boomers.  We can do it!  Mil

Lillygold

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
Millie
Right on
Lilly

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:25:12 am »
With more than one AN surgery, I have always said the first 2 weeks are days when you think I'll never be over this and then after that do see more improvement.      There still can be good days and bad days esp if one over does.          Just don't push yourself too much to prove you will be normal again.     Time is what helps as hard as it is.                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

PamJ

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 10:47:58 am »
Hi Lillygold I'm 65 and was worried about walking but the best advice someone gave me was
'patience will be your best friend' how true that is, I tried to rush things and believe me it
doesn't work.  Take it easy and take each day as it comes and things do improve.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Lillygold

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »
Thank you I will take it easy

Lillygold

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »
Wow 2 An you are amazing. I can't imagine. I will take my time. Hope I have the patience because I don't like to stay down or depend on others to do or take me places. Guess I will learn. Thanks for your thoughts